University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 228

Local Architects
Blair, William H.
Born in Bloomington, Indiana, William H. Blair (1851-1939) originally came to Janesville to
visit an uncle who operated a lumber yard in the city. Blair remained in Janesville and worked
with local carpenter Alfred McDougall. He started his own contracting business and later
formed a partnership with local builder James Wray. During the early 1890s, local builder
George K. Coiling joined Blair and Wray in a contracting and planing mill business. Later,
Blair formed a partnership with builder Alfred Summers. While working as a carpenter-
builder, Blair also studied architecture, and in 1907, he began an architectural practice. Blair
designed and built many homes in Janesville, but they have not been identified. It is known
that he built the Grand Hotel (not extant) and designed the interior renovations of the Allen P.
Lovejoy house at 220 St. Lawrence Ave. ("Veteran Architect Found Dead," RCHS files; City
Directories; National Register of Historic Places nomination form for Lovejoy and Merrill-
Nowlan Houses, 1980)
Home address: 15 N. Atwood Ave., Prospect Hill Historic District.
Burgess, J. M.
Only one mention concerning this architect-builder has been found: an advertisement in the
1846 Janesville Gazette.
"J. M. Burgess, Architect and Practical Builder, Designer and Builder
of Court Houses, Churches, Villas, Cottages, Farm Houses, Porticos,
Pulpits, Chimney Pieces, Cornices, and etc. All ordered in his line of
business executed with neatness and dispatch."
None of his work has been identified. (Janesville Gazette 1846:n.p.)
Architects and Builders
228


Go up to Top of Page