Pope, Amelia Irene Johnson (ed.) / Centennial history, Township of Springdale, Dane County, Wisconsin : souvenir booklet, 1848-1948
Springdale 1848-1948: organize group to complete town history, pp. 5-168 PDF (45.3 MB)
Kleven was one of the first postmasters here. He founded Klevenville about 58 years ago, probably because of the ideal loca- tion next to the North Western railroad tracks, and he ran it until Mrs. Swenson's husband, George, took over in 1890. Upon the death of her husband in 1915, Mrs. Swenson was elevated to the postmastership, a position she knew from A to Z because of her having served as assistant to her father and husband. And during her many years of service she hasn't missed more than a month away from her post, and that period only because of ill- ness. At the peak of her career as a postal employee, Mrs. Swen- son served 140 patrons out of her office here; that figure was cut to 120 last year when rural routes in this area were consolidated. Now only about 20 families receive their mail through the Kleven- ville postoffice. Twenty-eight years ago her store was destroyed by fire, but she rebuilt it. She marveled in her work during the many years as postmis- tress, and she points out that one reason she was so interested in it was "because she had such fine patrons." She has always maintained her residence above the store and postoffice. She has three daughters, Mrs. Edwin Redel. Mt. Horeb; Mrs. Raphael Vasen. Mt. Horeb, and Mrs. Roy Luhman, Madison; and three grandsons. Today she will proudly show you a letter from Frank Walker postmaster general in which he compliments her "on having rendered loyal and faithful service to your government" during her years in office. Klevenville Mr. Iver Kleven was born in Norway in 1835 and Mrs. Kleven was born in Norway in 1838. Her maiden name was Anna Lyshau- gen. They were married in 1861 in Sondre Aurdal, Norway, and came to Springdale in 1868, where they lived until 1903 when they moved to Madison. They lived there until 1908. They were blessed with seven children. They celebrated their Golden Wedding in April 1911. Two of their children, Knute and Gilbert, were born in Nor- way. Mr. Kleven was a stone mason; he also did carpenter work and became a master builder in the community. Besides a large number of dwellings he built all kinds of halls, school houses, and churches. Mr. Kleven built the tower of the Springdale church in 1876. The North Western Raihay named the village of Kleven- ville after Mr. Kleven. Mr. Kleven passed away in November 1925; Mrs. Kleven passed away in 1920. Mr. and Mrs. Kleven were high- ly respected Christian people.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright