Pope, Amelia Irene Johnson (ed.) / Centennial history, Township of Springdale, Dane County, Wisconsin : souvenir booklet, 1848-1948
Springdale 1848-1948: organize group to complete town history, pp. 5-168 PDF (45.3 MB)
back. He said one day when he went with the bread in a flour sack he found Mr. Eglin had committed suicide. Although Mr. Riley did not realize it he had walked in blood on the floor of the cabin and when he reached home his father noticed the blood on the side of the white horse from Master Rilev's bare feet. his father went imnnediately to notify the authorities. Next we came to a place by the side of the road where years ago they used to dip sheep. Mr. Riley told me that years ago farmers used to bring their sheep from miles around in big wagons with racks on and dip them in the river to wash their wool. Robert and Win. Riley used to stand in the river with big boots on. The farmers would line up their wagons along the roadside and help each other with the sheep. Bill Jacket was the sheep shearer. From there we drove to the Billy Cook farm where wxe were greeted at the gate by Ferdinand the Bull who gave us to under- stand we were not wanted on his grounds. So we did not get in to see Mr. and Mrs. Cook. As we drove along we came to the Garrity hill which reminded Mr. Riley of a story he had remem- bered from years ago where John Br(wn had a thrashing machine drawn by a team of horses. The team ran away w ith the thrashing machine and ran into the marsh at the foot of the hill and both horses mired in the svamp: it was thought to be quicksand. John Brown wvas driving the team on the thrashing machine. No brakes and horses couldn't hold the machine. Now known as the George McCaughey hill. Next we stopped at the George McCaughey farm where we found Mrs. McCaughey busy sewing. We were made velcome by a cool refreshing drink of water which was indeed a big treat. Mr. McCaughey tied up his team as he wvas cultivating corn and came to the house to give us some information we were seeking. We found that Charles T. Legate and wife Emiline had homestead- ed their farm in June 1850 and the price paid for the farm wxas $108. In December of that same year Legate sold to Ingebreght Halverson for $111 making a profit of three dollars. In 1851 John McCaughey, an uncle' of George, bought the farm and in 1867 George McCaughey Sr. bought the farm and in 1911 George Jr. bought the land and he is still on the farm. We passed the Joe Henderson farm where we saw a group of men in the field baling hay, another method of putting up hay. The first store built in Springdale was erected in 1876 by Pat Carr, and it was also used as the first postoffice. It stands on what is now known as the Meadow View farm and occupied by Lester Karn. The same lock is still in the front door and it is the kind with the thumbl press on it and key at least four inches long. The building is now being used as a farm dwelling. Wmn. Riley, father of John Riley Sr. worked for Pat Carr at busy times. Whiskey was sold in this building for 15c and 20c a gal. in the harvest fields. It was all drawn from the same barrel. The barrel stood between the partition with a faucet at each end.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright