Pope, Amelia Irene Johnson (ed.) / Centennial history, Township of Springdale, Dane County, Wisconsin : souvenir booklet, 1848-1948
Springdale 1848-1948: organize group to complete town history, pp. 5-168 PDF (45.3 MB)
The first public schoolhouse, Dist. No. 1, was built in 1856, on the Nels Halvorsen farm in Sec. 7, NE of NE. Later it was moved a few rods up on a hill where the present building now stands. The first teacher was Alena Thompson. In 1881 the Northwestern Rail- way was built, entering the township in Sec. 7, running East, and passed on to Sec. 12. With the coming of the railroad two villages sprang up. Pine Bluff established in 1881. Name changed by Ever Kleven, to Klevenville in 1891. The other village was Riley estab- lished in 1881. Iver Kleven, was a carpenter and contractor by trade. He later entered into partnership with his two sons, Knute and Gilbert, and together they conducted a lumber business. Later they added a planing mill which was eventually moved to Mount Horeb, where the Kleven Bros. added the manufacturing of silos to their other activities. The first blacksmith was Martin Jensvold. A building was erected by A. K. Sorenson, who entered the mercantile busi- ness. A shoemaker shop was operated by Ole Lukken, who is still living at the ripe old age of 82. The R. R. Co. built a stockyard, and William Scott and Levor Thompson were the first stockbuyers. Politically, this little village became a heated place between the Republicans and the Democrats, and, probably, the weather had some effect on the people in this community. It became an everydav expression: "Is it hot enough for you?" We kept track of an even hundred greetings from our neighbors, and sixty asked the above question. Twenty-five people varied the above question by asking: "Is it warm enough for you?" Of the remaining num- ber, fifteen asked: "Can you keep warm to-day?" One man only did not mention the weather, but mopped his sweaty brow in silence. We have since learned that he was from Texas. But it really was hot. One day a butcher from Mount Horeb was out with his meat wagon, and when he opened his meat box to serve his patrons, the steak and roast were done to a turn. He didn't charge extra for that, however. It is said that Ole Haugen had to pull up his well and run it through the wringer to get enough water to make his bachelor cup of coffee, but he said: "I'll fix 'ema plenty." Notice: Lost, strayed or stolen, the zero mark from the village thermometer. When last seen it was chasing the mercury out of the tube. Anyone finding the same please return it. A suitable re- xward is offered. Please don't complain again as it will soon cool off. In 1868 a schoolhouse was built in District No. 4, Sec. 11, and its first teacher was Mary Frawley, followed by Nora Callahan. A general store also was built and operated by Patrick Carr, a blacksmith shop by John Lindelien began operating. This little trading post was in operation until the coming of the railroad in 1881 when a depot was built on the Wm. Riley farm in Sec. 2, and became known as the Riley Station and Postoffice. A general store was built and operated by John Brown, and a blacksmith shop by Zep Ireland.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright