University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Loose, Myrtle; Bastian, June / Persohn family tree 1812-1988
(1812-1988)

The Joachim Persohn family,   pp. 2-5 PDF (1.8 MB)


Page 3

areas. A very short time later, when a
minister of the Methodist denomination is
said to have lost his way with the resultant
establishment of the present Brillion Methodist
church, they became members of this nearer
congregation which grew larger as the children
married, each establishing a family of its own.
Henrietta was the next of the children to
marry-to Johann Peters in 1859. They made
their home on what was later the Frank C.
Tamm farm.
Oldest childi in the family, son Carl, desired
to see more of America than what Calumst
county  afforded.  With two friends, and
belongings carried on packs upon their backs,
they started out for the southwest, traveling
as far as Kansas. But, obviously not favorably
impressed, they decided to return to their
Wisconsin home in town Brillion. On Jan. 7,
1866, Carl married Augusta Degner. A new
home was started on what is now the Lawrence
Persohn farm in the North West Quarter of
Section 11. Carl is remembered as a sturdy
outdoor man who disdained to button hi,
jacket against the elements even in the
coldest weather. When alone, he had the
peculiarity of thinking aloud to himself. With
his boys, much cord wood was cut and
delivered to the lime kilns in Brillion.
Most singular of the children was son
Wilhelm, fourth oldest, born oni Feb. 17, 1844.
He lived an unmarried life. Stricken with
disease in childhood which crippled his legs,
he was obliged to live on crutches into his old
age. Of him his brother Carl would jokingly
say: "I carried Wilhelm over from Germany
on my back." To earn a livelihood, Wilhelm
provided himself with a cobbler's equipment
and established himself in the business of
making shoes in an addition to the house
in which the family lived.
When he was about 30 years old, his earnings
enabled him to purchase the 80-acres of land
diagonally across the road. Besides enjoying
reading and accumlating a collection of Ger-
man-English books, he was very fond of playing
the organ and singing, and became player in
the Methodist church the family attended.
His father, a nervous person, objected to
the music, so Wilhelm erected a small building
on his own land across the corner where he
could sing and play to his heart's content.
After his father's death on Oct. 1, 1890, the
organ was moved back to the old home. When
the mother died on Oct. 3, 1906, the home was
used by the tenant on Wilhelm's farm. It was
during this tenancy that the original home
burned down and another was built in its
place.   Wilhelm thereafter made his home
with relatives. Visiting a sister in Nebraska
a number of times, he purchased considerable
property in that state which he leased to his
nephews. After living also for a time at a
Deaconess Home in Ohio, he died Oct. 3, 1915
at the home of his sister Albertina.
Hannah, fifth in line of the Persohn children.
Was married first to a Richards, whose first
name has been lost sight of. He left to fight
in the Civil War and did not return.   No
further information on him is available at this
time. There was a daughter by this marriage.
The mother and child made their home with
her parents, until two years after the close of
the war, in May, 1867, when Mrs. Richards
married Lewis Timm. They settled on land
now owned by Vance Bastian in the North
Half of Section 14 in town Brillion. The
buildings were across the road from the present
Fred Buboltz buildings. Yielding to an urge to
move farther westward, they sold their farm
in 1873 and moved to the state of Nebraska.
It is recalled that their last evening before
leaving was spent at the Carl Persohn home.
The Johann Timms, who had been living on
the homestead, sold the place in the course of
a few years in order to try a new occupation
at a new location a mile north of the home
place. The site is now owned by Hilmer
Kuchenbecker. A creek flowed through the
land, on the banks of which a saw mill and a
grist mill were erected. A dam across the creek
furnished the water power until the dam broke
out, after which steam power in the mill was
substituted.  Timm's brother-in-law, Johann
Peters, husband of Henrietta, who was employ-
ed at the mill, and accidentally lost his life
by drowning in the mill pond. Date of the
unfortunate occurrence was April 15, 1867.
3


Go up to Top of Page