University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Beloit city directory for 1902

Compendium of general information,   pp. 7-[41] PDF (6.9 MB)

Page 17

J. B. DO W,
School Teachers.-(Continued.)
Grace Nye                       Bertha Berry
Mabel McAlpin                   Marcia Schellenger
Katherine Bradley               Ella Lemmerhirt
Louise Ritsher, Prin.           Agnes Gilbert, Prin.
Katherine Ingleby               Charlotte Randall
Mary Hessman                    Daisy Buckeridge
Mabel Bradley
Anna Duggan, Prin.              Winifred Oyen
Emma Whitford                   Maude Annin
Harriet Holmes                  Grace Little
Irene Hartwell
Banks and Bankers
Beloit Savings Bank-Organized March 26, 1881; Pres., R. J.
Dowd; Vice-Pres., E. J. Smith, and D. H. Pollock; Secretary and Treas-
urer, E. F. Hansen.
Beloit State Bank-Incorporated October, 1892; Capital, $50,000;
John Paley, President; George D. Campbell, Cashier. 307 Bridge.
The L. C. Hyde & Brittan Bank-Organized 1854. W. M. Brittan,
president; E. S. Greene, cashier; R. K. Rockwell, Asst. cashier- No.
401 School street.
Second National Bank of Beloit-Incorporated 1882; capital, $50,-
000; Win. B. Strong, president, F. M. Strong, vice president; B. P.
Eldred, cashier. No., 352 Bridge.
Beloit College
Beloit College was founded in 1846, the charter of the college
bearing the date of February 2nd. The first meeting of the board of
Trustees was held on October 23rd 1845, the first College building, the
present middle college was begun in the autumn of 1846. The first class
in the college began work under Mr. S. T. Merrill on November 4th 1847.
It is an interesting fact that some of the old apparatus made by Mr. Mer-
ril is still to be seen in the Pearsons Hall. The College has had two
Presidents, the Rev. A. L. Chapin from November 21st 1849 to June
29th 1886, and the Rev. E. D. Eaton since June 29th 1886.
The college has gradually developed from the very beginning.
Buildings and equipments have been added from year to year as money
and means were available. At the present time the college has two
buildings for recitation work, three dormitories, chapel, library, art hall,
astronomical observatory, gymnasium and building for the preparatory
department It is expected that the old gymnasium will be replaced at
an early date by a modern, commodious, up to date, fully equipped new
the day we promise your washing, every
ALL     RLTP1article in the packag.e.

Go up to Top of Page