University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Rivers,   pp. 208-220 PDF (5.7 MB)


Page 215


these docks to Two Rivers. Small sailing vessels also docked here. Today
nothing
of these docks remains except rows of logs lying on the shore river bottom.
The busy
village even boasted of two hotels at one time!
    Kingsville adjoining Neshoto to the east had about fourteen families
with a
population of about 125 persons. The village was platted by a Mr. King. It
was the
business and residential section of the two villages, although a grist mill
across from
the present home of Theo. Kowalski was in operation. The mill was later moved
to
Shoto and is now owned by Jos. Holly. The present home of Theo. Kowalski
was at
one time a tavern, while his barn lumber was once used in a large dance hall.
An-
other tavern run by Silbersack was located across the road from the present
school.
This, too, was moved later to Shoto and is now the tavern of Ben Loef. Mr.
King
conducted a store in the village. Other residents in Kingsville were Salomon,
Oes-
treich, Kettenhofen, Hess, Meyer, August and Win. Schmidt, Kestley, Mueller,
and
Wolferman families.
    Today Shoto has become a scenic and sports area. Summer cottages of residents
from Manitowoc and Two Rivers dot the shores. People from all areas of Manitowoc
county travel to Shoto for picnics and fishing.
                      TWO RIVERS JT. 5 - FILLMORE
                                   Suspended
    Two Rivers school district
Jt. 5 was officially designated
the Millard Fillmore school in
honor of one    of America's
presidents. It is commonly re-
ferred to as the Schwantes
school because it is situated
next to the Schwantes home.
    On March 1, 1856, the town
superintendent of schools called
a meeting of the voters of this
area for the purpose of form-
ing a new school district. The
meeting was held at the home
of Edward Schmitt on April 1,
1856, at 2:00 P. M. Win. Klop
was chosen chairman and Solo-
   s n,  ;  4-    1 + Wf] 1~%,C UJI..
The assembled voters authorized the construction of a -log building to be
built by the
residents for which they were to be paid $1 per day for such-labor
     The first school district consisted of land which was in Two Rivers
township.
 Since the new district bordered on the town of Manitowoc, it was not long
before this
 district became joint with Manitowoc. On April 9, 1861, all of sections
4 and 9 and
 the east halves of sections 5 and 8 in T. 19 N., R. 24E (Manitowoc township)
were
 added to this school district.
     The first log school constructed in 1856 was a crude building 18 x 24
feet, valued
 at about $80. Both the inside and tfie outside of the school were mud-plastered.
 The interior was then whitewashed frequently. The room was meagerly furnished
 with homemade desks and seats, one "black" board 3½ x 4½
feet, a map or two,
 and a few books. When the next schoolhouse was built, the old log building
was
 sold to John Krueger for $2, No mention is made of the use that he made.of
it. The
 old log school was to be located on the southwest corner of the SEV4 of
Sec. 33, T.
'20 N., R. 24E, the present Rhode cheese factory corner. On April 15, 1856,
before
the log school was begun, a special meeting was held to alter the site because
there
was no warranty deed for the first site chosen. The chosen site for the first
school-
.house then was one-half acre at the northwest corner of section 3, T. 19
N., 3. 24E.,
on the present Frank Koldoff farm.
     In 1867, the voters authorized the construction of a new frame schoolhouse.
The
 sum of $400 was raised f~r this purpose. 'Because of a dispute over the
old site, Mr.
 Schwantes donated the present site on the present county trunk highway D.
The
 second school was about 24 x 34 feet with windows on the long sides. The
furniture
 was still of the homemade variety. The frame schoolhouse was abandoned in
1885
215


Go up to Top of Page