University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Rivers,   pp. 208-220 PDF (5.7 MB)


Page 213


national figures. Thos. Walsh became U. S. Senator; Herman Schlundt became
pro-
fessor of chemistry at the University of Missouri where he experimented with
radium
treatment of cancer. "Schlundt Hall" at that university is named
in his honor; Henry
C. Wilke is president of the Bank of Two Rivers; and Otto Engel, an officer
of a
Manitowoc lumber company.
    Reading, arithmetic, spelling, grammar, writing, history, geography,
and con-
stitution were among the subjects taught in the early school. Lower grade
reading
classes were called "chart" classes, while lower grade arithmetic
classes were "num-
ber" classes. Early texts were Wigginson's U. S. history, Wydes English
Lessons,
A. 0. Wright Constitution, Martins Physiology, Rudiments of Arithmetic, The
Union
Speller, Swinton's Language Lessons and Geography, and Barnes Primary History.
In more recent years the school has served as the center for farm meetings
and a
4-H club gathering place.                             f
    Peter Schaff once owned a brick yard adjoining the rear of the schoolyard
where
he made high grade building bricks. He also experimented with the manufacture
of
round sewer pipes but was unsuccessful because of the grade of clay used.
The brick-
yard was in existence for 60 years. Eastwin Hall, established 80 years ago,
is used for
the Two Rivers town hall. Stoer's and Goedjen's dairies are located in this
district.
The pine grove located on the Henry Goedjen farm was a picnic ground of note
for
the people from Two Rivers. Today nothing but the concrete piers on which
the
dance hall rested remains. East Twin River, which crosses the eastern boundary
of
this district, is a favorite recreational area. Summer cottages dot the shores
back of
Goedjen's grove.
                     TWO RIVERS 4 - SHOTO SCHOOL
                                  Mary Duffy
   Two Rivers district number
4 located in T. 20 N., Range 24
E. is known at the Shoto school.
Years ago it was known as the
Neshoto school and as the Kings-
ville school for definite reasons
which are given in this school
history.
    The 1856 Two Rivers town-
ship assessment roll shows that
by that time at least the dis-
trict was set up for taxation
purposes. The district then con-
tained sections 27, 28, 29, 32 in
T. 20 N., R. 24 E. By 1861 the
east half of section 32 had been
attached to Two Rivers No. 5.
There is no record of a school
before 1860 although there were school sessions prior to that time in a private
build-
ing. The first schoolhouse was built in 1860 at a cost of about $250. It
was a large
frame structure about 30 x 60 feet and contained one classroom. The first
building
was smaller but a later addition, due to increased enrollment, was added.
    The school was located about two blocks south of the Shoto bridge, on
the hill
behind the present James O'Hearn home. At the time the school was located
on that
site, an east-west road ran past the southern boundary of the schoolyard.
The school
site adjoined a cemetery. Michael Schimmel and Alex Rutz, old residents of
the
district, remember the first school as having three rows of seats- two rows
of three-
pupil desks and seats and a center row of seats, each large enough for eight
or ten
pupils. The seats were made of planks. Books and slates were brought from
the
homes. A large stove furnished heat for the building. In one corner, on a
rude
wooden bench, was the old fashioned water bucket. The school was then known
as
the Neshoto school.
    When Cooper and Jones, owners of the school site, were ready to move
out of
Neshoto in 1875, they wanted to dispose of their holdings and so it was necessary
to find a new location for the school. It was-then decided to build in Kingsville
which
adjoined Neshoto to the east. The first school was torn down and some of
the lumber
was evidently used in the new school building. While plans and building conferences
were going on, Alex Rutz reports that the district bought the house in which
the De-
213


Go up to Top of Page