University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Rivers,   pp. 208-220 PDF (5.7 MB)


Page 209


    The subjects taught in the early school days were reading, writing, arithmetic,
physiology and language. Singing was always taught and Mr. Luebke's group
was
no exception.
    Some of the early settlers in the district were Matt Kimmes who lived
on the
farm that John Pietroske now owns. Mr. Kimmes boarded the first teacher in
the
district.
    Mrs. Nick Taddy, known as Grandmother Taddy in Two Rivers, was one of
the
very early settlers in the district. She was the mother of nineteen children,
several
having preceded her in death. Most of her children grew up on the farm and
attended
school in District 1. About 25 years ago, Mrs. Taddy left the farm and moved
to the
city of Two Rivers. She died very recently at the. age of 84. It was part
of Mrs. Nick
Taddy's farm that was chosen for the present site of Sandy Hill View School.
    Frank Napiecinski was another of the early settlers in the district.
Mr. Napie-
cinski recently sold his farm to Matt Kimmes.
    Mr. and Mrs. Henry Fischer still reside in the district. They were some
of the
earliest settlers living in the district and took a very active part in trying
to. have
the district divided and a school built where Sandy Hill View School now
stands.
Their three sons attended Sandy Hill View. Lyman Fischer, one of the sons,
was Dis-
trict, Attorney of Manitowoc County for four years and is now a practicing
attorney
at Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Warren Fischer, a second son, is now an instructor
at
Whitewater Teachers' College and Robert, a third son, is a practicing attorney
at
Shawano, Wisconsin.
    Philip Schaefer was another of the early settlers in the district. Royal,
a son
and former pupil of Sandy Hill View, was with the Consolidated Air Lines
flying
supplies to the South Pacific.
    Charles Meineke, who formerly lived on the farm now owned by Elmer Petri,
served as treasurer and Ferdinand Witt served as the director of the first
school
board in the district. Their pay at this time was about $10.00 a year.
    The school was used as a community center. Spelling matches, box socials
and
neighborhood picnics were held there.
    Fred Luebke was the first teacher. Some of the other teachers were: Charles
Chizek, Pearl Kelly, Freda Heinz, Alma Zander, Erma Gostopherson and Mae
Brei-
vogel.
    Part of the wooded area along the lake shore has been taken over by the
state and
has been made into Point Beach State Forest. These beautiful woods now afford
not only beauty but serve as a recreational center as well.
    Molarch Creek, which runs about one-half mile east of the school, at
one time
had been a favorite camping site of the red man. One of the favorite sites
of the
Indians was on the East Side within the present city limits of Two Rivers.
The
grounds there bear mute testimony to the fact that this was at one time the
center
of a large settlement, as the grounds today are covered with flint chips,
which were
chipped from flints in the manufacture of arrow points, spears, knives, etc.
In addi-
tion, arrow heads of flint and copper, as well as pottery and trinkets of
stone, have-
been found by the score.
                         TWO RIVERS 2 -TANNERY
                                  Leon Strouf
    Two Rivers school district
No. 2 has always been known
as the Tannery school 'because
it has been and is now located
in the old Two Rivers tannery.-
area. The tanning industry was
located on the shores of -the East
Twin River which flows through
the district.
    The first Tannery school
district set up in the 1850's in-
cluded a mu~ch greater area'
than it does today for until 1896
the district Was composed of
sections 13-14-23-24 and 25 in
R. 24E and sections 16-17-18-
19-20-2 1-28-29 and 30 in R. 25
E. in 1896, disagreement be,
209


Go up to Top of Page