University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 159


Mishicot was added to this district. The last described piece of property
had belonged
to Mishicot No. 6 school district.
    The first school meeting for the newly organized district was held in
the house
of Louis Kahnke on December 9, 1865, at one o'clock P. M.. The records show
that
the following voters of the district were notified of the first meeting:
Gottlieb Bi-
galke, August Stehn, Henry Kippel, Wm. Koelsch, Etrieme Mirit, Carl Schmidt,
Fred
Krueger, Carl Pries, Ole Olsen, Fred Quistorff, Carl Schramm, Henry Ploeckelmann,
John Quistorff, Tuliex Olsen, Jos. Mathey, Ferd. Albrecht, Ole Tidemann,
Frank
Lousier, Peter Ploeckelmann, Louis Kahnke, Matthias Mathieson, and Mathias
Legro.
    Louis Kahnke acted as chairman of the first meeting. Clerk Louis Kahnke,
treasurer August Stehn, and Director Frank Lousier were chosen as the first
school
officers. The minutes of the first meeting were recorded by Henry Tisch who
acted
as clerk of the meeting. At this first meeting it was voted to purchase one-quarter
acre" of land from Tulie;c Olsen for five dollars for a school site.
The description of
this site as recorded by Henry Tisch was as follows: "to commence at
a certain post,
70 rds. due south from the NW corner of the NWV4 of Section 19 in Town 21,
Range
24 East, and from fence to run gight rods due east from fence, seven rods
due south
from fence, and eight rods due west from fence to the center of the Kewaunee-
Mishicot road."
    The first school house built on the site was of hewn logs. It was 22
feet wide
and 26 feet long. John Langhoff .built the school at a cost of $173.92. The
buildings
consisted of the school, a wood shed and outdoor toilets. The records reveal
the fact
that the logs and lumber costs were $41.90. The furnishings of the school,
consisting
of twelve benches, tables, a book chest, two blackboards, and a chimney box
cost
$36.50. This log building was abandoned in 1887 and sold to Fred Jenkins
for ten
dollars. He used it for a residence for many years.
    A new school house was built in 1887 and is still being used as the center
of
 learning today by the children of the district. This building is of brick,
26 x 36 feet.
 The cost of the new school was $790, and Carl Pries, Robert Guse, and August
Stehn
 were members of the building committee.
    The first teacher in the first -log school house was Henry Tisch who
received
 $30 per month for his four months of winter and three months of summer teaching.
 Casper Braasch taught in 1867 for the same wages. His term consisted of
154 days.
 Mathey Smith taught the winter term in 1868, while Ella Sachetl" taught
the summer
 term . Henry Sibree was the teacher during the winter of 1869. Other early
teachers
 were Charles and Melora Shove, Annie Bvrnett, Maggie Kelly, Oscar Stockmeyer,
 Joseph Wojta, Casper Ploeckelmann, Walter Runge, Lizzie Hayes, Ernest Pries,
C. F.
 Canright, D. R. Soler, Nancy Quistorf, J. A. Miller and Melvin Halverson.
The first
 teacher in the present school was Maggie Kelly.
     qome of the texts used by the first teachers were Sander's Readers,
Sander's
 Speller, Ray's Arithmetic, McNally's Geography, Winston's History of the
United
 States, Montheith's Geography, and the Phinneas Grammar.
     The enrollment in 1871 was seventy. The average enrollment during the
1800's
 was between fifty and seventy-five. At present the enrollment has dwindled
down
 to fourteen. Various factors pertinent to rural areas have had its effect
in reducing
 the attendance in this school.
     By 1874, the district voted to have a seven month school term instead
of a win-
 ter and a summer term. In 1887, the district began maintaining an eight
month school
 year. At present the termn of nine months, required by law, is being maintained.
This
 school has always been a one room rural school.
     During its eighty years of existence, many of the qualified patrons
of the dis-
 trict served as school officers. A few of the earliest officers in addition
to the first
 board members were Carl Pries, August Wilkowsky, C. Wullner, H. Stehn, and
Geo.
 Kahrs. Those patrons serving from 1906 to 1945 are listed in the County
School An-
 nuals.
     Hundreds of boys and girls have attended this school since its organization.
Many
 of the graduates became community leaders. Among the more recent graduates
who
159


Go up to Top of Page