University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 157


Henry Eller 1881-1888; George Barthels 1880-1890; Helen Wilke Schlwake 1888-1895;
Laura Petri Leist 1895-1904; Mayme Schuerer Peterick and Clara Schmidt Liese
1898-1906.
     Mishicot district No. 2 was named the Jefferson school in 1918, probably
because
 there were so many Democrats in the district, but most likely so named in
honor of
 ThoS. Jefferson, the third president of the United States. Older residents
remember
 this as the Altmeyer school because Johann Altmeyer was the original owner
of the
 land on which the school house is built. It is also known as the School
Section school
 as it is located adjacent to section 16 of T. 20 N., R. 24 E.
     County records show that the United States government in 1850 conveyed
to
Johann Altmeyer the NE¼/4 of Sec. 17, T. 20 N., R. 24 E. In 1866,
Mr. Altmeyer sold
,this property to Louis Barthels and Geo. Kahrs. In 1869, Geo. Kahrs conveyed
a
portion of his farm to district No. 2 Mishicot for a school site.
     Mishicot No. 2 was organized as Mishicot joint 3 in the early 1850's,
being joint
with the town of Two Rivers. At first the district consisted of sections
17 and 18 in
the present town of Mishicot and sections 20, 21, and 22 in the town of Two
Rivers.
In 1863, Two Rivers district No. 3 was organized, detaching all of the land
in Two
Rivers township. Then this district became Mishicot No. 2. Today the district
is
made up of section 17, nearly all of section 16, and the S½ of section
8, T. 20 N.,
R. 24E.
     The first school for the old Mishicot Jt. 3 was a log building located
where the
 present Wm. Michel home nowv stands, to the south of the present schoolyard.
It cost
 about $25 and was a crude unplastered building. The equipment consisted
of room
 furniture common to pioneer schools. There is no record of just when this
school
 began to operate, but acocrding to other districts nearby this school was
organized
 in the early 1850's.
     The second school was built in 1869, for it was at that date that the
district
 purchased the present school site. It too was a log building which has since
been
 covered with siding and is the structure in use today. The school has a
little shed
 entry which leads directly into the schoolroom. The clothes and the lunch
pails are
 stored in the schoolroom since there is no cloakroom. The schoolroom is
about 20 feet
 wide, 26 feet long, and about 9 feet high. Two wisdows for each of the long
sides
 and two for the entrance side supply the natural lighting.
     At first the equipment was very meager consisting of the usual pail
and dipper,
 a hand bell, and long home-made tables and benches costing about $35. In
1887, a
 real blackboard valued at $2 was purchased. Patented double desks were purchased
 in 1880. At the turn of the century some textbooks were purchased, as well
as a book-
 case, a blackboard, and a map of Wisconsin. Up to 1901 a small hand bell
was used,
 but that year Henry Barthels was paid $9.75 for building the belfry. The
materials
 cost $7, and the big school bell cost $19. An old fashioned box stove heated
the
 school until in 1908 when a Wernecke furnace for $90 was installed. The
present
 floor furnace and ventilating system were installed in 1933.
     Although this is one of the oldest school buildings in our county, the
district
 through its officers has maintained a well-equipped school. Individual desks
and
 seats of the latest type were purchased in 1931 at a total cost of $270.75.
In 1934,
 electric lights were installed. Modern reference books were purchased as
early as
 1927 and again in 1942. Today, the school is as well equipped as most modern
school
 buildings are.
      The schoolyard was added to in 1928 when Harold Eis sold a triangular
strip
  along the western schoolyard boundary for $25. The strip was 13 feet wide
on the
  north, 26 feet wide on the south, and 10 feet long. In 1939, the road past
the school
  was relocated, adding about 11 feet to the southern boundary of the schoolyard.
  This strip was donated to the district by the owner, Wm. Michels. Well-built,
home-
  made playground equipment as well as a modern merry-go-round care for the
rec-
  reational needs of the pupils. The usual outbuildings are located to the
rear of the
  schoolyard.
      The highest enrollment for this school occurred before Two Rivers No.
3 district
  was set up. Even after that date, large enrollments were common up to 1880.
From
  1885 on, the average yearly attendance has been between 20 and 25, while
the census
  listed between 40 and 60 children yearly. Today the census is still near
the 40 mark,
  but the number of pupils enrolled has dropped to between 10 and 15.
157


Go up to Top of Page