University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic",   pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)


Page 196


THE LAND OF THE FOX
In 1882 PastorJ. Gensiekie and Mr. Brock-
man, as teacher, served. Instruction was
carried out in the German language. As
the enrollment grew, more teachers were
added. In 1914 the eighth grade was
added. Nearly a thousand pupils have
graduated up to date. At present five
teachers and a kindergarten helper carry
on the instruction in the English language
(since 1923). Three buildings have been
erected, the present building having served
since 1893. The congregation is now
making plans and is gathering funds to
erect a new building in the near future.
E. F. Schulz, the present principal, has
been with St. Paul School since 1914.
  In 1882 the Bethlehem     Evangelical
Lutheran Congregation of Hortonville
saw its way clear to establish a Christian
day school. In that year it erected a one-
room school situated on the site now
occupied by the church. Later, in 1897, it
was moved to the rear of the present
church. For many years the pastors taught
school in addition to fulfilling their other
duties. Both Pastor J. Hacker and Pastor
G. E. Boettcher spent many hours in the
classroom. In the early days the school
term usually lasted six months. In 1907
this was increased to seven months, in
1908 to eight months and in 1911 to nine
months. The eighth grade was introduced
in 1920. From 1910-1916 and again since
1922 the school has been taught by two
teachers.
  In 1908 it was decided to erect a new
school building which was dedicated on
October 11, 1908. Many improvements
have been made from time to time. The
future plans are to add a two-room addi-
tion to the present building. The enroll-
ment for 1947-1948 was 102. A     third
teacher will be added in the 1948-1949
school year. Bethlehem has been taught
by 38 teachers since its beginning.
   Mt. Calvary Evangelical Lutheran
 School at Kimberly, Wisconsin, opened on
 September 9, 1941 with an enrollment
 of 38 pupils. Because the church-school
 building was not completed on schedule,
there was no heat, no blackboards, no
maps. Miss Dorothea Toepel, now de-
ceased, was the first teacher. She taught
for two years. Pastor W. Wickmann also
taught in the first school. Three were
graduated from the institution in the
first year. The enrollment has consistently
stayed around the 40 mark, which is
approximately 85 per cent of the congrega-
tion's children.
  Up to the present time 35 children have
been graduated from Mt. Calvary's eighth
grade. The following have served as
teachers: Miss Dorothea Toepel, Martin
Leitzke, Mrs. D. Brick, Mr. Delbert May
(student), G. Bunkowski (student), A.
Nolting. The following pastors have also
taught: W. Wickmann, C. Krug; F. Thein-
felder, during illness of C. Krug; and D.
Brick; the present pastor.
  Founded in July, 1885, shortly after
the installation of the first resident pastor
of the congregation, Pastor W. Hinnen-
thai, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran
School has had a continuous history.
Pastor Hinnenthal was the first teacher.
He taught alone until 1891 when the first
regular teacher, K. F. G. Brenner, was
called. At this time an addition was built
on to the school to serve as a second class-
room. Other teachers who taught in this
school were Miss Anna Brenner, A. Zorn,
C. Brenner, E. Hinnenthal, G. Schlei, H.
Kahnert, H. Wicke, Miss Lucille Meyer,
Miss Lorraine Radder, Miss Edith Meyer,
Miss Esther Dommer, Miss Ida Conrad,
Helmuth Ihlenfeldt, Leo Vergin and M.
Hoffmann. The cornerstone for a new
school was laid August 19, 1923, and the
building was dedicated February 24, 1924.
The present teaching staff consists of
Theodore T. Boettcher as principal, Miss
Catherine Behm and Miss Jeanette Kaed-
ing.
  The Parish School of Zion Evangelical
Lutheran Church was opened in 1883, the
same year in which the congregation was
organized. The school opened with an
enrollment of 20 pupils in a store building.
Adam Stumpf was the first teacher and
later Albert Linsenmann was engaged to


Go up to Top of Page