University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic",   pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)


Page 195


'RITIN'  AND  'RITHMETIC ''
or near the present Nicolet School site.
Later these two districts were consoli-
dated into one school district and the same
two buildings continued to function as
elementary schools for the new district.
  In the fall of 1889 a free public high
school with F. Cleary as principal was
organized and first met in the South Side
school. One year later the high school was
moved to a small building on Second
Street. Then, in 1891, the high school de-
partment was moved for the third time to
the Island near the present location of the
Kaukauna High School; here it remained
for five years. In September, 1897, the high
school was again transferred, this time
into the present Park School building,
where it remained until 1923, when it
made its last move to the present high
school building.
  The elementary schools, after the con-
solidation of the two school districts, re-
mained in the North and South Side build-
ings until 1891 when the present Nicolet
School was built. In 1894 the Park School
building was erected, and both of these
buildings still function as elementary
schools today. The present Superintendent
of Schools is Theodore Boeble. Paul Little
is the principal of the high school.
  When the high school started its long
and interesting career, about 20 different
subjects were taught. Practically all of
these subjects are still being taught today
but it is the additional courses which indi-
cate the forward step in our educational
goals of today as compared with the early
days. Then it was the aim of the schools
to equip its graduates with basic factual
knowledge mainly required for entrance
to college. Today thQ aim of the school is
to develop in its graduates a basic knowl-
edge of the many aspects of successful
living which an adult needs, whether he
goes to college or not. For that purpose
there have been added courses in home
economics, wood and metal shop, art,
journalism, music, both vocal and instru-
mental, speech, dramatics, physical edu-
cation, chemistry, Spanish and courses in
social studies.
  County students of today are tested and
studied with a view to educate them for
a vocation for which their aptitudes and
background seem to fit. Perhaps one of the
most important contributions of the schools
to our American way of life is the training
of the students in democratic living.
LUTHERAN PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS
  During the 1947-1948 school term over
5,000 of the county's youth attended
either Lutheran or Catholic parochial
schools. Lutheran institutions include St.
Peter's, Freedom; St. Paul's, St. Matthew's
and Zion, Appleton; Bethlehem, Horton-
ville; Mt. Calvary, Kimberly and Trinity,
Kaukauna.
  The history of St. Peter Lutheran
School, located about seven and one-half
miles northeast of Appleton on County
Trunk E, dates back to the beginnings of
the St. Peter congregation. This was
approximately the year 1868. William
Plamann, particularly devoted to the
ideals of a Christian education for the
young, gathered a group of children about
himself in his home to instruct them in
singing, reading, writing and catechism.
In 1873 steps were taken by the congrega-
tion to provide for a classroom in the base-
ment of the church. This classroom served
its purpose, often under crowded condi-
tions, for 37 years. In 1910 the old struc-
ture was torn down and replaced by a
modern, brick veneer school building con-
taining two classrooms. Until 1902 the
pastor also taught the school. By this
time, however, the enrollment had grown
to such an extent that it was found neces-
sary to procure a full time teacher. B.
Mayerhoff of the Martin Luther College
at New Ulm, Minnesota, was inducted
into office August 10, 1902. Opening the
1948-1949 school session are Pastor Walter
Hoepner and Sylvester Quam.
  The Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul
School, Appleton, Wisconsin, was estab-
lished March 30, 1879, 12 years after the
St. Paul congregation was organized. A
Rev. Hodwalker was pastor at the time.
I 'READIN',


Go up to Top of Page