Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic", pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)
THE LAND OF THE FOX house the farm shop and classes in voca- tional agriculture. The school has continued to grow steadily and now has an enrollment of 175 in the elementary grades and in ex- cess of 300 in the high school, with a combined faculty of 19 teachers. Two rural schools transport their children to the Seymour Elementary School. The high school serves an area with a radius of seven miles or more. SHIOCTON Prior to 1880 the only educational op- portunities for Shiocton were secured through the use of a private tutor or by attending the neighboring schools of New London or Appleton. About 1880 a one room school was built, in Shiocton, which housed the eight grades. This school took care of the educational needs of Shiocton until 1899 when a four room school was constructed, with two rooms used and two teachers employed. The other two rooms were completed and additional teachers engaged when the need arose. In 1908 a high school district was organized, together with the Town of Bovina, with William J. Sizer as principal. Twenty students were enrolled in the freshman an'd sophomore classes. During the summer of 1909 an addition was built to the school building, fully com- pleted by 1911. The first senior class of Shiocton High School was graduated in 1912. On February 15, 1915, the school building burned to the ground and prac- tically all of the equipment and books were lost. Two days later the students were back in school, meeting in church and lodge halls. The senior class of 1915 was graduated from the Congregational Church. Late in the fall of the same year, grade and high school students entered their new school building. Improvements in the school program include the addition of courses in agri- culture, home economics and commerce. Four bus routes now operate in the sur- rounding territory. A hot lunch pro- gram furnishes well balanced hot lunches at noon to about 250 pupils. A well equipped gymnasium was added in 1938. A music course furnishing vocal and in- strumental instruction to both high school and grades has been the latest addition. The last graduating class of 41 seniors was the thirty-seventh. The present en- rollment is 175 students taught by 13 teachers. KAUKAUNA The history of the growth of the edu- cational system in Kaukauna has not been very well recorded. It is necessary to skip over the period from 1823, when Miss Electa Quinney managed her mission school, for about 50 years, to the latter years of the nineteenth century. At that time two school districts comprised what is now quite nearly the present school or city district. The north side of the Village of Kaukauna and part of the Township of Sire ot First Kaukatiia hIigh School, right foregromId 0 oI Ma1p of 18] 6 Kaukauna were known as District One. Ledyard, the present south side of Kau- kauna, and some more Town of Kaukauna territory was known as District Two. The building for District One was lo- cated on a site near the present Holy Cross School building, and the school building for District Two was located on
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright