Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic", pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)
THE LAND OF THE FOX Centennial Rural Graduation 1948 In 1894 plans were begun for estab- lishing a free high school but it was not until 1903 that a high school course was adopted. The faculty had three members with L. A. Budahn as principal. The first year the enrollment was 23. Mathematics, English, history, science and social science were taught. After several years a full commercial course was added. In 1935 a music department was added, with musi- cal training available for high school and grade students. A new addition to the building, housing the Music, Agriculture and Homemaking Departments was com- pleted in 1942. Full courses in agriculture and homemaking were offered, with evening classes in both departments avail- able for adults. At this time playgrounds were added to the school grounds. As the tuition students increased in number, school buses were used to transport the rural students, until at the present time the school has three buses in use. In 1946 a kitchen and dining room were installed i the basement and a full hot lunch pro- gram was made available for the students. In 1947 a guidance program was added to the high school program. At the present time, forensics, music and athletics play an important role in the curriculum The total number of graduates from Hortonville High School is 709, the class of 1948 leading with 38 members. The high school reached the peak of its enrollment in 1947-172 students. As Hortonville nears the end of the first century in its educational program, we again find it making plans for a new school; it is a new high school this time. KIMBERLY In seeking out information on the early history of the Public School at Kimberly we found the best and most reliable source to be the minutes of the annual school meetings held in July of each year. The first meeting was held on April 29, 1890, for the purpose of organizing School District Six, Town of Buchanan, Outa- gamie County. (Kimberly was not yet a village.) School officers elected included: William Geenen, clerk; A. A. Burns, treasurer; S. C. Bothwell, director. On May 5, 1890, a special meeting to discuss a site and building of a proposed school was held. A decade later a second teacher was procured and the board made plans for a new school. In 1910 Miss Lydia Schaefer became the first principal of the school. Seven years later the first ninth grade class was started and in 1918 a program for a tenth grade class was set up. In July, 1921, a kinder- garten was added to the school. Then at the annual meeting in July, 1924, the sum of $62,660 was set aside for an entire new
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright