Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic", pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)
RITIN' AND 'RITHMETIC'' Freedom Public High School was con- structed by John McCann. Ray Fadner, the first principal and teacher, traveled daily by horse between Appleton and Freedom. His students were sons and daughters of some of the pioneer families in the town. Among them were Hugh Garvey, John E. Garvey, Margaret Gar- vey, Joseph Van Dyke, Anna Murphy, Kate Moran, Nicholas Watry, Dora Gil- dernick, John Schommer, Leo Schommer, Joseph Heckel, George Geenen, and John 0. Garvey. The original two-story wood con- structed high school was completely de- stroyed by fire in 1928. The following year a new red brick school plant was erected. Ben C. Schraml became principal that year and remained in that position until 1945. Under his leadership the high school progressed greatly. In 1940 the small gymnasium was converted into class rooms to allow for the increased enrollment and in 1941 the present gymnasium was con- structed. Freedom Union Free High School today possesses a modern school plant. Surround- ing the school are four and one-quarter acres of land used for educational and recreational activities. The curriculum is designed to give the students a well- rounded four years general education. Approximately 75 students are now in attendance. John E. Garvey, a member of the first class in the high school, is now the clerk of the School Board. Roy Rickert and Cy Weyenberg are director and treas- urer. A staff of four teachers is employed, with Robert Bachhuber serving as prin- cipal. HORTONVILLE Hortonville's school system began June 8, 1850, when the first school district was organized and a school board was chosen wv ith Moses Allen, director; Andrew Coin- ish, clerk; and Robert Hampson, treas- urer. At their first school meeting a week later they decided to build a schoolhouse and voted to raise $300 for the building and $10 for equipment. School started June 24, 1850, for a term of 12 weeks and the first school was held in a board shanty attached to the side of Thompson's Hotel. It was built of rough boards and was furnished with chairs but with no desks or equipment. They hired Miss Catherine Bristol to teach the first term for $1.75 a week, with room and board furnished. In 1851 the school term was changed to seven months and the teacher's salary was raised to $2.75 a week; of this amount 75 cents was to be paid by the students. By this time, also, the new schoolhouse, a frame building, was completed. Chairs and desks were furnished in this new school and Emma B. Leach was the first teacher. In 1854 a school library was started. By 1857 the enrollment had increased to 108 and the students were divided into primary and upper groups. One room was rented in the basement of the C. H. Ware home for the primary class and in 1859 the Hammond house was used for the primary group. In 1861 a two-story schoolhouse was built and the students were divided into three departments. The old schoolhouse was used for the primary group and the other two departments had their classes in the new building. In 1864 the school year was lengthened to eight months and divided into three terms-two months in the fall term, three months in the winter term and three months in the summer term. The school became a graded school in 1878. In 1880 the school term was in- creased to nine months. Iln 1894 a rule was passed by the State Board of Health, and enforced by the local school board, that no students were to be allowed to attend unless they were vaccinated. By 1895 the enrollment was 231 and the crowded condition of the school ne- cessitated building an addition. In 1899 plans were made for building a new school. Classes were held in it in 1901. The grades now were divided into four de- partments and were under the supervision of a principal. I''R EA D IN', 191
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright