University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Mann, John P.
"Readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic",   pp. 186-207 PDF (9.3 MB)


Page 190

THE LAND OF THE FOX
music, science, art and other subjects to
supplement the work of the teacher.
  Much more attention is given the health
and personality development of the chil-
dren. Besides inspections by the public
health nurse, there are immunization,
tuberculin testing, orthopedic and psy-
chological clinics. The Outagamie Dental
Society is offering free dental inspections.
Teachers are more alert to vision diffi-
culties and other health or personality
problems and through parent cooperation
and nurse consultation many more chil-
dren are receiving corrections. Many civic
groups have aided financially; others have
participated actively in the program.
  In recent years there has been a trend
toward larger districts. A county school
committee, composed of representative
citizens of various sections of the state is
at work on plans for improving school
district organization, with a view   to
providing better opportunities for the
rural boys and girls.
  At present, according to office records of
the County Superintendent, there are 130
school districts in Outagamie County
exclusive of the cities of Appleton and
Kaukauna. There are 115 one-room rural
school districts, nine state graded school
districts and six high school districts.
Eighty-four of the one-room rural schools
operated during the school year, 1947-
1948. In the remaining 31 districts the
electors voted to close the school and
transport the children to a neighboring
school.
            BEAR CREEK
  History records show that a school
one and one-half miles northwest of Bear
Creek was built on the Warren Jepson farm
about 1857. Not until 1890 was a school
constructed within the village. This was
St. Mary Parochial School. The first
public school was a two-room frame build-
ing built in 1896.
  School mistress Margaret Sullivan
opened the first class to 77 pupils in 1897.
The school was not graded at the time
but within a few years an additional
teacher was employed, equipment was
provided and the school became graded.
  On June 23, 1917, at a special meeting,
a resolution was passed to establish a
district high school in the village. School
opened in the fall of 1917, with an en-
rollment of 50 high school students which
was quite a stride from the meager educa-
tion provided in the old log school-
house on the Jepson farm.
  The first Board of Education was direct-
ed by C. 0. Davis, with J. A. Lyons
as treasurer and F. W. Raisler as clerk.
Fred Hamilton was the first principal and
served in that capacity until he left to
join the army in World War I. The follow-
ing served as high school principals:
Mary E. Hanna, 1918; D. J. Flanagan, 1919
and 1920; Francis Reavey, 1921; George
Heatherton, 1922 and 1923 ; James Moxon,
1924 through 1929; Kenneth Edge, 1930
through 1936; Stanley Helms, 1937 through
1941; Frank Weix, 1942; Harold Thorn-
ton, 1943; William Smith, 1944. This
brings us up to the present with Robert
Baldwin as principal from 1945 through
the 1948 graduation.
  The present red brick gytnnasium and
home economics room and agricultural
shop were added in 1937. This structure
has been of an invaluable aid to the
community both as an educational and
social center.
  The Farmer's Club, organized in 1944,
has been a kindly benefactor to the high
school. Through the able management of
its conscientious and forward looking
leaders, it has given physical expression
to the rural support of education in the
vicinity. The great educational assistance
of classroom movies was made possible
through the gift of a sound movie pro-
jector and screen. The club has also given
typewriters to the commercial depart-
ment and equipment to the home eco-
nomics department.
              FREEDOM
  The first high school in the Freedom
Township dates back to 1905 when the


Go up to Top of Page