Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship, pp. 164-185 PDF (9.8 MB)
CALL TO WORSHIP SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS, WESLEYAN METHODISTS The Seventh Day Adventists, not a strong sect in Wisconsin, has a church in Appleton, but there are no functioning churches in the other parts of the county. During the 1890's missionaries for this group worked in the county and for a time there were several small congregations in the Town of Deer Creek and in Maine. A small chapel built by Danish Lutherans in the Town of Deer Creek was used as a union chapel for Lutherans, United Breth- ren and Adventists. The Town of Oneida had a church and an Adventist school Those buildings have been abandoned and the Seventh Day Adventists in Oneida attend a church in Green Bay; the Ad- ventists of Deer Creek, Maine and other townships attend their church in New London; those in the central parts of the county come to Appleton. The Appleton society was founded May 20, 1899, and has existed continuously since that time. The first meetings were held in a hall on College Avenue but they now are held in the Seventh Day Adventist Chapel. The congregation does not number over 50 people. In September of 1938 a small band of Wesleyan Methodists began to worship together. They were joined in 1940 by five families from Kaukauna and the Rev. and Mrs. 0. C. Butcher were called to take charge of the organization. The Rev. E. W. Hall has been pastor since 1945. Other religious bodies which are es- tablished in Appleton more or less per- manently and who hold revival services which the older churches have not used for some years are the Christian and Missionary Alliance, the Gospel and Bible Truth, Pentecostal and the Salvation Army which does a large amount of social serv- ice work and charity in its functioning. CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST A small group of this faith began hold- ing meetings in a hall above the present location of the Wisconsin-Michigan Pow- er Company in Appleton in 1894. By 1896 there were 12 members. About 1910 there was talk of building a church but that project was not carried out. A house served as a meeting place until 1923 when the group acquired the former residence of Anson Ballard, one of the pioneers of Appleton. Since 1923 the society has grown considerably and still occupies the remodeled Ballard home. In Outagamie County religious faith has never been lacking. 185
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright