Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship, pp. 164-185 PDF (9.8 MB)
CALL TO WORSHIP sion (on spiritualism) in this city closed on Saturday night last, five nights having been occupied in the debate. Rev. Mr. Haddock was better qualified with argu- ments and authorities than his opponent, Dr. Randall (apparently a substitute for President Mason of Lawrence University) who did not appear to have prepared himself for the fray.'' Mr. Haddock, in the opinion of the editor of the Crescent, clearly won his side of the debate in defense of Spiritualism. In January, 1871, Mrs. Maggie Van Cott, the first woman ever licensed by the Methodist church to preach, held a series of meetings. There never was any organized Quaker group in the county. Among the early settlers of the Town of Freedom there were a number of Quakers who held meetings in homes for some years. The families have disappeared and presumably no descend- ants of these families are to be found in the county. In 1865 a small band of Mormons who had not gone along with the main party on its journey to Utah after the abandon- ment of Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1846 came to Black Creek. Peter Harris was the Mormon preacher and Gilbert Watson, who was elected town treasurer in 1865, was one of the leaders among the Mormon colony. Other Mormons were Emery and Herman Downie, J. M. and George Waite. A number of French fa'milies who came earlier (1861) than Peter Harris also be- longed to the group, including the Joseph, John and Y. Felio families and the Wilson Brothers. The Berthiers soon disappeared and later the Mormon church was sold There were undoubtedly several groups of the Moravian faith located in the county by 1865 or 1870 but only one church survives from these earlier groups. It is located in the Town of Freedom and has a resident pastor, the Rev. R. J. Grabow. The church founded by mission- aries working out of Green Bay in 1867 had as its first pastor a Rev. Zuecke and has maintained its independence since that time. EVANGELICAL SOCIETY AND UNITED BRETHREN These two groups, now united, began almost the same time in Pennsylvania, where Jacob Albright (Albrecht), a Lu- theran, born in 1759, was converted to Methodism in 1791. He was ordained in the Methodist Church and began preach- ing in Pennsylvania. He felt the urge to go into a wider field and formed three ''classes" in central Pennsylvania, gradu- ally consolidating them into a group out of which was organized the new denomi- nation known at first under the title ''Evangelische Gemeinschaft or Evangel- ical Association of North America.'' In 1807 Albright became the first bishop of the new Church. Philip Otterbein, formerly of the Re- formed Church, founded the United Brethren. He and Martin Boehme, a Mennonite, made an evangelistic tour in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, appearing in Isaac Long's barn and beginning the serv- ice with the sentence: ''We are Brethren!'' By 1800 the United Brethren was a recog- nized church building In Outagamie County the Evangelical Society and the Reformed Church ap- peared first. In Greenville, at the home of Friederich MuellKr, the Rev. Jacob Him- mel, pastor of the Evangelical Church at Oshkosh, held meetings in 1855-1856; later others from Oshkosh continued these services. The Rev. Lienkaemper was work- ing in Dale at this time, organizing the families who had recently come from Pennsylvania, into a Reformed Church congregation. After 12 years, in 1867, the Zion Evangelical Church of Greenville was dedicated during the ministry of a Rev. Bockemuehl. In Ellington, meetings were organized in 1858; a church, the Emmanuel Evangelical Church, was dedi- cated in 1864. The founders of this church were the families of Christian Saiberlich and Carl Breitrich. A second church was built in 1876 but in 1924 the congregation had become so small that the church was closed and the building sold. Emmanuel
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright