University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship,   pp. 164-185 PDF (9.8 MB)


Page 180

THE LAND OF THE FOX
_ýrT
       The Old Baptist Church in Appleton, 1858
other events with the Methodists and
Congregationalists.
  In 1867 the Rev. Amos Robinson, a
graduate of Brown University was called.
During the pastorate of the Rev. T. C.
Coffey (1877-1879) the Ellington church
became an independent institution, able
to take care of its own expenses. By the
end of the century the once large church
was too small and outmoded. In 1900 the
old wooden building was torn down and
the new brick church erected-just in
time for celebration of the fiftieth anni-
versary of the founding of the congre-
gation. The Rev. E. M. Salter, who came
in 1923, had the task of building an
addition for educational purposes. A. W.
Priest of Appleton, the son of two early
members of the congregation had left a
sum of $25,000 for this work. The new
structure was dedicated in 1927 on the
occasion of the seventy-fifth anniversary
of the founding of the congregation. In
1930, the Rev. Ernest Hasselblad took
over the new equipment and organized a
leadership-training school. He remained
six years, the longest pastorate in the
history of the church. Pastors R. H.
Spangler, George Reichel, and G. E.
Dalton, the present pastor, have given
their contributions to the church work
during the period from 1936 to 1948.
  The Hortonville church founded in 1854,
has survived through the years and is still
an independent congregation. The Green-
ville or Stephensville church ceased to
exist some years ago.
     UNIVERSALISTS, QUAKERS,
     MORMONS, SPIRITUALISTS,
          AND MORAVIANS
  In the eighteen sixties Universalism was
  brought to Appleton by a Miss Tupper
who was stationed in Neenah. Work was
begun in 1868 and in February, 1869,
'Miss Tupper of the Neenah and Menasha
society preached to a large audience,
many of whom came to hear a woman and
to understand more of the Universalists'
faith. Services were advertised to be held
monthly thereafter. Miss Tupper's rare
oratory was greatly enjoyed,'' (Appleton
Crescent, February, 1869). In June, 1869,
the Crescent says: "Miss Tupper is a gifted
lady and preaches a sermon having depth
of logic and eloquence unsurpassed in the
city." Whether anything permanent came
of these sermons is not clear. No organi-
zation seems to have survived. With
Universalism, Spiritualism came to town,
also in a revival that caught the attention
of the ministers of the community and of
the public.
  In September, 1864, the Spiritualists
held their state convention in Appleton.
Over a hundred delegates were present
from different parts of the state. In April,
1869, a discussion on the subject of
Spiritualism was held in Metropolitan
Hall for five successive nights. The ques-
tion discussed was as follows: "Resolved
that modern spiritualism is conducive to
the moral good of human society.'' The
Crescent of May 1, 1869, says 'The discus-
In-Wrimem-EMNOW
]so0


Go up to Top of Page