Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship, pp. 164-185 PDF (10.2 MB)
THE LAND OF THE FOX ventists. In the Town of Maine missions existed at Stinson Post Office as early as 1854. At Leeman in the early nineties camp meetings" were held at the time when 'Miner Camps'' were popular. The Maine missions for a time had charge of services also in the village of Nichols, where a church building, more or less inter-denominational, has existed since 1924. In the Town of Maple Creek, Baptist, Methodist, Congregational and United Brethren missionaries held serv- ices in various homes and school houses. This work began about 1853 and con- tinued up to 1880. In 1870 a Christian Church, built by William Steward ab- sorbed most elements of the Protestant population. PRESBYTERIANS As we have seen, the Presbyterian Church was organized in Appleton on December 18, 1850, by the four Presby- terians, James Gilmore, Mrs. Catharine T. Gilmore, Frederick Packard, Miss Julia C. Smith, one Congregationalist and one Methodist. The seventh member of the founding group was Alexander Edgar, admitted on profession of faith. However, in January, 1852, it was voted to change from the Presbyterian form of government to the Congregational and the fortunes of the Presbyterians were merged, at least officially, with the Congregational Church. In 1866 the Crescent reports that ''A Presby- terian Church and a synagogue are being talked of." In 1870 the Rev. W. P. Gibson held services during the month of November in the Central School (on the site of the present Masonic Temple) in view of form- ing a Presbyterian congregation. In 1871, 15 members are recorded but Rev. Gibson was replaced by a student pastor, George Spinning, during the summer of 1871. The Rev. Dickinson of the Congregational Church was in ill health and Mr. Spinning accepted the invitation of the Congre- gationalists to bring his flock and hold union services in the Congregational Church. Apparently the Presbyterians re- mained in the Congregational Church until in 1878 without a pastor of their own denomination. In 1876, however, David Smith died and left a sum of $6,000 to help build a Pres- byterian Church. The Rev. J. D. Andrews came to Appleton to undertake the build- ing of a church and to reorganize the congregation. In December of 1879 the cornerstone was laid by Rev. Banks of Marquette, Michigan. The church was dedicated on February 15, 1880, 'with stately ceremony and splendid music.'' The sermon of the day was given by the Rev. Dr. Gregory, President of Lake Forest College. The name Memorial Pres- byterian Church is in memory of David Smith. The- Rev. Andrews was succeeded in 1883 by Rev. Banks who remained until 1885, when Rev. Gardner came. Among the pastors of the Presbyterian Church the Rev. John McCoy served the church for the longest period, 1893 to 1907; the Rev. Leo Burrows was pastor from 1913 to 1921; Virgil B. Scott, from 1924 to 1928; the Rev. Robert Bell from 1935 to 1943. The Rev. Clifford Pierson has been min- ister since 1944. It is interesting to note that the church building is one of the few original church buildings in the city of Appleton or even in the county. It has been in use for nearly 70 years. Because the Presbyterian Church was a part of the Congregational Church in Appleton for so many years, all early missionary work was carried on in the name of the Congregational group. Hence, there is but one other Presbyterian church in the county, a small congregation in Kimberly, organized in 1906, but existing as a mission until 1929. LUTHERANS The Lutherans of various types did not come with the purpose of missionary work among the Indians. They came after the arrival of German settlers in the various parts of the county and generally
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright