Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Magnus, J. F.
Tillers of the soil, pp. 125-140 PDF (3.8 MB)
THE LAND OF THE FOX YOUTH ACTIVITIES Rural youth activities in the county date back to about the beginning of agriculture extension work here. Records show that the youth work started with pig raising clubs in 1923. These clubs were composed largely of rural school boys and girls with the program centered in the schools. Later calf clubs were organized. These clubs promoted the selection and raising of better stock and taught up-to- date methods. The first record of clubs called 4-H Clubs was in 1927. Mrs. John Schoettler was the first 4-H club leader in Outagamie County. The purposes of 4-H clubs are (1) to promote the latest and best practices in agriculture and home economics and (2) the development of bet- ter citizens. The calf-clubs and pig clubs were com- bined in the 4-H program with other phases of farming and homemaking such as clothing, foods, gardening and other projects. Now rural boys and girls may select any project in which they are in- terested. They plan their own programs, conduct monthly and semi-monthly meet- ings, take tours and trips and promote community activities. In short, they are developing into future leaders in agricul- ture, home economics and community affairs. In 1947 the program had 615 mem- bers with 85 adult leaders and over 40 older boys and girls acting as leaders. These youths also sponsor their own organizations and leadership councils. High school youngsters received instruc- tion in agriculture as early as 1916 or 1917 according to the records. Shiocton High School taught agricolture first, and Seymour High School followed in 1920. At the present time four high schools in the county have agricultural departments, New London, Hortonville, Shiocton and Seymour. Thus, it can be seen that both youth and adults make a cooperative project of agriculture in this county.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright