Dicke, Robert J. (ed.) / Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters
volume XLIV (1955)
Ihde, Aaron J.; Conners, James W.
Chemical industry in early Wisconsin, pp. 5-20 PDF (5.8 MB)
1955] Ihde & Conners—Chemical Industry in Wisconsin more commonly, the zinc ore was shipped by rail to central Illinois for smelting near the coalfields.2' Copper. Wisconsin charcoal never played an important role in the smelting of copper, though there were sporadic efforts at production of the metal. Wisconsin copper discoveries always proved to be a part of the glacial drift brought in from the Lake Superior region so Wisconsin never had a copper boom such as hit the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan in the forties. Since the Michigan deposits represented native copper, the smelting problem was never more than one of melting the metal to separate it from contaminating rocks. When charcoal was used, it was obtained from nearby forests and used primarily as a fuel rather than as a reducing agent.22 Iron. Charcoal needs at midcentury shifted to the eastern part of the state with the development of iron smelting in the Iron Ridge Region and soon thereafter in Milwaukee County. A charcoal furnace was in operation at Mayville in 1849.23 The charcoal was produced locally. This furnace, or another at Mayville (built in 1853) was operated by the Northwestern Iron Company, the owners of the Mishawaka furnace in Indiana.24 In 1857, two more charcoal furnaces were put into operation. The one near Black River Falls was operated for only a short period by a company of German immigrants. The Ironton furnace was built by Jonas Tower to produce iron for castings. It had a capacity of three tons of iron per day, using ore mined in the nearby Baraboo Range. Another charcoal furnace was built in 1865 at Iron Ridge, near Mayville, by the Wisconsin Iron Company, operating out of Milwaukee. The next decade saw a vigorous development of iron smelting in Wisconsin. Seven charcoal furnaces were put to blast in the lower Fox River valley during the years 1869—72. These furnaces were located where they could benefit from lake transport of ores from the Marquette Range which was being opened at that time in the Michigan peninsula. Hardwood forests in the counties adjacent to the Fox River provided the charcoal supply. Milwaukee also began to develop as an iron working center. Two furnaces were put into operation by the Milwaukee Iron Company in 1870 and 1871. Another was built for the Minerva Iron Company in 1873. All three furnaces utilized Lake Superior 21Merk, F., "Economic History of Wisconsin During the Civil War Decade", Wis. [list. Soc., Madison, 1916, p. 114—5. 22Ibid, p. 120—21. "Raney, ref. 18, p. 335. ~ Swank, J. M., "Statistics of the Iron and Steel Production of the United States", in Censiss of Mc~nafactures of the U. 5., 1880, p. 109 (folio p. 845).
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright