Dicke, Robert J. (ed.) / Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters
volume XLIV (1955)
Ihde, Aaron J.; Conners, James W.
Chemical industry in early Wisconsin, pp. 5-20 PDF (5.8 MB)
16 Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters [Vol. 44 sin and Fox Rivers to Green Bay from where it was shipped eastward on the Great Lakes. Milwaukee became a similar port for the shipment of lead after suitable roads and railroads had been built. Bullets and shot were the main products made from lead although the manufacture of white lead for paint was started in 1841 at Buffalo, New York.19 Shot was even manufactured in Wisconsin following the construction of a shot-tower at Helena.2° Daniel Whitney, a Green Bay merchant, initiated construction of the tower in 1831 on a cliff overlooking Pipe Creek, a tiny tributary of the Wisconsin River. A vertical shaft was dug through the soft sandstone for a depth ' of 120 feet and connected to the stream ' bank by a horizontal tunnel 90 feet long. The molten lead, alloyed with a trace of arsenic, was prepared in a melting house at the top of the cliff and poured through a sieve into a wooden enclosure, or tower, which connected to the top of ' the vertical hole (Fig. 1). The drops of lead fell a total distance of 180 feet, twirling and solidifying as they fell and finally landing in a pit of water at the bottom of the shaft. Here they were collected, removed, ' sorted, and prepared for shipment. Shot was produced here until the decline of lead mining in the fifties. The lead mines drew heavily upon nearby forests for the wood used in smelting the ore. The depletion of the mines after a quarter century coincided with the depletion of local wood resources and the discovery of more important lead ores in states to the westward. The miners turned to full-time farming on the cleared lands or, if mining was permanently ingrained in their system, joined the copper boom in ' the Lake Superior region or the gold rush to California. Some lead continued to be produced in southwestern Wisconsin but it was marginal production. Operations rose and fell with the price of lead. Wisconsin never again became the leading producer it had been in the forties. Zinc. Interest in the zinc ores associated with the galena ' of the region did not develop until 1860. Up until that time, the smithsonite (ZnCO3, called "drybone" by the miners because of its resemblance to partially decayed bones) had been discarded as not worth smelting. In 1860 some 160 tons were successfully smelted. Production of smithsonite and the deeper-lying zinc blende (Zn~S, called "blackjack" by the miners) increased rapidly as a zinc boom hit the region. Charcoal did not figure in zinc smelting, however, since coal was shipped in from Illinois or, 19 Libby, 0. G., "Significance of the Lead and Shot Trade in Early Wisconsin History", Wis. Hist. Coils., 13, 319 (1895). 20 Libby, 0. G., "Chronicle of the Helena Shot-Tower", ibid, p. 335—74. The shaft gnd tunnel can still be seen in Shot-Tower State Park near Spring Green.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright