University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin State Horticultural Society / Annual report of the Wisconsin State Horticultural Society for the year ending July 1, 1921
Vol. LI (1921)

Elver, Elmore T.
The gladiolus,   pp. 122-126 PDF (1.2 MB)


Page 125


WISCONSIN STATE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY       125
land, in 1823, and is known as the G. Colvilli. This hybrid is
still grown today.
The second important is known as G. ramosus, appearing about
1835. It was obtained from seed of the G. blandus of "Fairest
Gladilios."
Up to this time and until 1840, hybridization and cultivation of
glads has been primarily that of the amateur., It had no serious
standing in the flower world and was given no attention by seeds-
men or nurserymen. Now, however, the important thing oc-
curred in the gladiolus world. A new type was produced. This
type was the real start of the gladiolus of today.
M. Bedinghaus, gardener to the Duc o' Aremberg, in about
1839, produced a seedling known to nearly all present as the G.
gandevensis. This was purchased and introduced in 1841 by
the famous Frenchman, Louis Vail Houtte.
The second type, with which you are all familiar, was pro-
duced in 1848 by Mr. Hooker of Brenchley and took its name
as G. Brenchleyensis.
About this time the master mind appeared upon the scene.
M. Eugene Sauchet, the gardener for Napoleon III, at Fon-
tainebleau, was the greatest of all breeders. During the time
he occupied the stage, from 1850 until his death in 1880, his
hybrids outranked all others.
The impetus given to the gladiolus by the work of Van Houtte
and Sauchet and others was further stimulated by a visit on the
part of Queen Victoria to Fontainebleau in 1855, who there saw
and greatly admired Sauchet's hybrids and conveyed her enthu-
siasm therefor to England and -imparted it to her subjects.
In 1875, Victor Lemoine produced the G. Lemoinei; simul-
taneously Herr Seichllin produced the G. Luchllinii. This stock
was later sold to the great American nurseryman, John L. Childs,
and, after further cultivation and improvement, has become
known as the G. Childsii; G. nauceianius was produced by Le-
moine in 1889.
The foregoing practically was the-work up to the present cen-
tury. The present century has given us a distinctly new phase
in the primulinus hybrids. The offspring from the G. Primu-
linus introduced into England by Baker in 1890. The hybrid
was first produced by Coyeaux and introduced in this country
by Thorburn.
7' H-a t - f Js--- w-  +


Go up to Top of Page