Milmine, Geo. R. (ed.) / Racine advocate city and county residence and business directory of Racine, Wisconsin
Village of Burlington, pp. -198 PDF (8.1 MB)
ASSETS of Companies represented by PADDOCK & JANS. over $100.000.000. rp4 0 04 DO not falt to eall at the New Furniture Store. 129 Main St. S. B. C. Village of Burlington. The village of Burlington, containing about two thousand in- habitants, is situated on the Fox River about twenty-five miles west of the city of Racine, and thirty miles from Milwaukee ; its inhabitants mostly German. An industrious and honest and general thrift pervades the entire village. It was first settled in December 1835, by Messrs. Moses Smith and Win. Whiting, the later making a "jack-knife" claim to the lands whereon the Perkins Mill now stands. In 1836, D. B. Rork made a claim to the fraction of land upon which the greater part of the village is not built. Mr. Lewis Royce settled in the place in 1837, building a residence west of where the R. R. Depot is now located. The first store was opened in 1839, by Pliny M. Per- kins in a log house built by Moses Smith. The first mill was built by Messrs. S. C. Vaughan and Moses Smith, and was known as the "up and down" saw mill. Subsequently Mr. Perkins purchased the mill property and erected a grist mill in which was ground the first flour shipped from Wisconsin to New York. The first physician was Dr. Edward G. Dyer, who came in 1839. In i84o the first hotel was opened for the accomodation of the traveling public, it being signalized by a grand New Year's Ball. * It stood near where the present Jones House is now located. Messrs. Francis and Joseph Wackerman were the first German inhabitants of the place, coming from New York. The first school was taught by Sarah Bacon in the summer of 1838, and 1839 the first scltool house was erected. The first election was held in the fall of 1836 at which Capt. Gibert Knapp was elected for member of the territorial legislature. The first town meeting was held in the spring of 1938. Henry Edmunds settled in the place in 1838 and was the first blacksmith in the village. In 1837, with Moses Smith as Post Master, the Foxville Post Office was established. Th'. first birth was a son of George Newman, in, May or June 1837, and the first death, Miss Hayes, occurred in July x836. The first Woolen Mills established in the County, if not in the State, was built in Burlington by E. & P. M. Perkins in x843. Burlington is well and favorably known throughout the entire northwest on account of its excellent water privileges and manufactur- ing interests and its easy accessibility to all points of the country. All branches of mercantile and manufacturing business is carried on in the village,which is usually pursued in places much larger, and all engaged
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain. Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).