Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Lauderdale Lakes], p. 100 PDF (385.6 KB)
Reprinted in part with permission of Ginny Hall, author of "Meandering Around Walworth County" The lakes were named for James Lauderdale. He built the first real home on the lake in 1842. James was born in New York. He came to this area in 1841 along with his wife's broth- er and cousin. Each man bought 160 acres of land at the Homestead Act price of $1.25 per acre. Lauderdale's property cov- ered a lot of the shoreline of Green, Middle and Mill lakes (these comprise the Lauderdale Lakes). Actually the current name was not applied to the area until James' cousin, James Lauderdale, bought the mill and added a Post Office. James, his wife's brother and cousin returned to New York for their families and returned in September of 1842, While they stayed in a nearby tavern, James built his log cabin on the shoreline. He used roof boards which were sawed at Bigelow's Sawmill. Mrs. Lauderdale did not like living right next to the lake. In 1855 her husband built a larg- er, more modern house next to the road, this time the lumber was hauled from Milwaukee. James served as town supervisor for many years and two terms in the state Assembly. STERLINGWORTH CONDO. Drive into this area so you can learn more about its historic site, get a glimpse of the lake and avoid some of the highway traffic. This road formerly led to the Sterlingworth Hotel, the second hotel built on the Lauderdale Lakes. Mr. John E. Wheeler from Chicago bought the shoreline property and began building in 1893. The original hotel was four stories. Later the top floor was removed. At first it was used only in the summer, there was no heat in the building. Kerosene lamps and candles provided light. After the mill was removed from the area, a hydroelectric generator provided power until public electricity came to the area, Danny Seymour was the last owner of the Sterlingworth Hotel, 100
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).