Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[The Gardner-Patterson-Waller house], p. 90 PDF (343.8 KB)
Gardner-Patterson-Waller House Pickett Court, Shiloh Hills The Waller house, the major portion of which was moved in April 1996 to the Shiloh Hills Subdivision on the western edge of Burlington, sat on a large lot on the north- west corner of Kane Street and Gardner Avenue (next to the Wheaton house). It was built about 1871 by Palmer Gardner, a pioneer settler, and came to be known as Gardner's Prairie, just outside Burlington in Walworth County - not far from Shiloh Hills. Gardner's country home still stands off Highway DD. It is currently the Scott Wilson home. The original Gardner house on Kane Street was a large, square, two-story house, with a long, columned porch. The house com- manded a lovely view of the village of Burlington and the surrounding country side, which at the time consisted mainly of farmland and orchards. The house was later owned by the Andrew Patterson family, and the third story and a Victorian tower were added. In April 1920, attorney George W. Waller bought the res- idence as a home for himself, his mother Harriet, and his sister Annie. inside the house was an impressive amount of woodwork including a parquet floor, a circular staircase, which contained no rails, sliding parlor doors, and intricately carved moldings. Prior to the move to Shiloh Hills, the house was slated to be razed to make way for an educational center. But after an auction of many of the furnishings, the house was bought and moved. Several of the auc- tioned furnishings were bought back from the purchasers and reinstalled in the house. The house is now owned and has been restored by the Scott Beatse family. Burlington Historical Society
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).