Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Antique houses], pp. 32-33 PDF (879.3 KB)
Ite TWO STOry rea oriCK ana TieiasTone parr OT Trlis awelling was built in I 5U. It has a living room, small kitchen and pantry on the ground floor, with two bedrooms under the rafters. A frame kitchen was added in 1868, later a bedroom was added on the rear. August and Regina Albrecht purchased the property in 1874. He built and operated a wagon factory around the corner. Grandchildren knew he came home for lunch everyday about 10 am and were on hand to maybe get a piece of kuchen or gooseberry pie, or a bit of blood sausage. This graceful pink brick building with wood pillars is the original exterior of the house. The earliest information on this house is a Land Patent dated December 10, 1840 by Martin Cole Whitman. In the early part of the century, Mrs. Eliza Davis kept her very spirited horse in the accompanying barn. She literally waged war with her horse and buggy for she loathed the "devil wagons" as she called the new fangled motor cars. But her young neighbors of the time remember her treat of sour cream cookies: 3 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, 1 tsp. baking powder (in flour), 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 3 eggs, 2 cups sour cream, 1/2 tsp. lemon. Add as much flour as can be stirred with a spoon, Roll out, cut and bake in a quick oven. Another of Rochester's graceful brick houses is next door. The house was built c. 1845, later bought by John Wood, a blacksmith from England. It has remained in the Wood family until 1974. Wooden additions were added in 1860 and 1896. It is thought that an upstairs room was used as an early school, It was purchased by the Philip Clarks in 1974. Labeled Greek Revival style, the red brick house was built in 1848 by Joseph Jackson and is one of the many Jackson houses found in the village. It has three interior walls made of stone. Joseph is listed as a boot and shoe dealer, and this was the first house in Rochester to be wired for electricity. Eileen Albright SPONSORED BY ROCHESTER HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMITTEE 33
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).