University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Toepel, M. G.; Kuehn, Hazel L. (ed.) / The Wisconsin Blue Book
(1958)

Wisconsin in 1958,   pp. [69]-[228] PDF (45.4 MB)


Page 74


WISCONSIN BLUE BOOK
which afterward runs so great a distance with but comparatively
few principal branches to swell its current . . ." The name Wiscon-
sin first appeared in the organic law approved by President Jackson
on April 20, 1836, establishing the territorial government and pro-
viding that "from and after the third day of July next (1836), the
country included within the following boundaries shall constitute a
separate territory for the purposes of temporary government, by
the name of Wisconsin; . .
   Although there is no specific designation of a star for each state
in the U.S. flag, a federal executive order of October 26, 1912 pro-
vided that the flag should have six horizontal rows of eight stars
starting with the upper left-hand corner with the states represented
in order of their ratification of the Constitution (for the first 13) or
their admission to the union. Wisconsin, as the 30th star, is repre-
sented by the sixth star in the fourth row.
   State flag. The Wisconsin state flag or banner was adopted by
the legislature in 1863 by Joint Resolution 4. This resolution pro-
vided that the flag should be of dark blue silk, six feet six inches
by six feet in size with the coat of arms of the state on one side and
the coat of arms of the United States on the other side. After the
Civil War the Wisconsin National Guard used a different flag and
in 1887 the legislature inadvertently repealed the legal provisions
for the flag. In 1913 section 1.08 of the statutes was created by
Chapter 111 providing for a flag of "dark blue silk, five feet six
inches fly and four feet four inches on the pike; the state coat of
arms embroidered on each side with silk of appropriate colors; the
edges trimmed with knotted fringe of yellow silk two and one-half
inches wide; the pike nine feet long including spearhead and fer-
rule; the cord eight feet six inches long with two tassels, and com-
posed of blue and white silk strands intermixed."
   State seal. Section 4, Article XIII, of the Wisconsin Constitution
 requires the legislature to provide a great seal which shall be kept
 by the Secretary of State and used to authenticate all official acts
 of the Governor except laws. An official seal was created in 1836
 when Wisconsin became a territory, and the seal was revised in
 1839. In 1848 when Wisconsin became a state, a new seal was pre-
 pared. This was changed in 1851 because Governor Dewey did not
 like it. In 1881 a law was enacted describing the great seal. This
 ultimately became section 1.07 of the statutes. It provides for a
 coat of arms of the following description: "Or, quartered, the quar-
 ters bearing respectively a plow, a crossed shovel and pick, an arm
 and held hammer, and an anchor, all proper; the base of shield
 resting upon a horn of plenty and pyramid of pig lead, all proper;
 over all, on fesse point, the arms and motto of the United States,
 viz.: Arms, palewise of thirteen pieces argent and gules; a chief
 azure; motto (on garter surrounding inescutcheon), 'E pluribus
 unum'." The crest is "A badger, passant, proper." The supporters
74


Go up to Top of Page