Westover, Ruth, 1910- / The Waukau Methodists, 1867-1986
New beginnings, pp. 17 ff.
New Beginnings Dedication of the completed church took place at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 30, 1904. After a prelude by the Waukau Orchestra, the people sang, "Christ the Foundation Stone." Scripture was Psalm 24. After the Gloria Patri and prayer, the choir sang "Onward Christian Soldiers." The Rev. C.O. Mercia gave the sermon and the collection was a whopping $55.00. A dedicating hymn written by Julia Reynolds was a part of the dedicating ceremony. _____________________________ The first reception in the new church was conducted by the "Aid" in spite of inclement weather. They prepared a supper and presented a program. After an instrumental selection by Mrs. Abercrombie, two songs were sung by Mr. and Mrs. Ward Mallery, assisted by Fred Alger. A brief history of the Ladies Aid Society was read by President Mrs. LeFevre. Mrs. Fred Alger read a poem, and a paper on ways the society could aid the church and the pastor was given by Mrs. Reynolds. After a business session the pastor closed with a prayer. ______________________________ Bless all the churches, and blessed be God, who, in this our great trial, giveth us churches. Abraham Lincoln. (His reply to a Methodist delegation On May 14, 1864.)
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| Original material owned by Oshkosh Public Library.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright