University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Fond du Lac city directory, and business advertiser, for 1865-'66
([1865])

Historical sketch of Fond du Lac,   pp. [8]-11


Page 9

 
ewastward. Through the middle of 'the 1Fond du Lac Prairie 
a stream of water, with 'two 'branches meeting in the city', 
flows northward to the lake. Alonig either~ branch of 'the~ 
river is a thrifty grow'th of forest t~rees, consisting of the usual 
variety of hardwood, such as hickory, maple, oak, elm, &o. 
   The earliest occupation of this prairie by white persons was 
in 1787,'by Mr. Franks and Jacques Fortier. Their building 
was below the railr~oad bridge. They were succeeded by John 
Lowe in 1791. In the summer of 1818 Augustus Grignoti 
es    isheda tading poston the west branch, on ir. McKi- 
ion's lands, In  82 this house was standing. 
  In the year 1835, that part of the city comprised within the 
fourth and fifth wards was laid out by "The Fond du Lac 
Company," of which J. Duane Doty, George McWilliams, J. 
P. Arndt, T1. S. Baird, and others, were members. Ablock- 
house was erected in 1836, below the north end of the railroad 
bridge. A few rods above, another house was erected, into 
which the 11 first settlers," Colwert Pier and his wife, moved, 
June 6th, 1836. On the 11th March, 1837, Edward Pier and 
family settled in this vicinity. In June following, Norman 
Pier and Albert Kendall joined the pioneer settlers. Others 
were soon attracted to the place ; among them we may men- 
tion Calvin Pier, Oliver W. Pier, A. Raymond, William 
Stewart, Gustave DeNeven, Patrick Kelly, William Hays, 
J. D. Doty, Colonel 11. Conkling, Governor G. D. Ruggles, 
A. Laborde, and M. C. Darling. On our arrival, in the spring 
of 1842, there were within the limits of the county only 
thirty families. 
  From the time of the laying out and plotting the Fond du 
Lac Company's grounds, in 1835, to the fall of 1842, no pro- 
gress was made in building up a village. Thin company was 
wanting in enterprise and foresight.   Under its peculiar 
policy, the village of Taycheedah was laid out and built upo, 
with a fair prospect of obtaining the location of the county 
seat, and becoming the centre of business for the county. 
Under these circumstances, Dr. M. C. Darling, in 1844, laid 
out and brouight into mrket that part of the city knwn as 
Darling's Addition to Fond du Lac. At the "Fe time he 
obtained an iinjuritionagans the FondduLcCmay 


Go up to Top of Page