Unity, Wisconsin centennial
Churches, pp. 11-14
The Methodist Church was organized in 1880 and continued to be the only church here until 1901. In 1905 it wastotally destroyed by a tornado. The construc- tion of a new edifice began that summer. The basement was completed and ser- vices were held there the first year. The building was constfucted of white brick with large colored windows. It was completed and dedicated in 1908. This was in use until in 1964 when because of the decline in membership, the congregation de- cided to disband and join neighborhood churches. The building was torn down that year. During its earlier years the congregation was very active having several societies within its membership such as the Youth Fellowship, Ladies' Aid, and Men's Club. They sponsored many public events to help finance their budget. The opportunities of this area attracted many of the Scandinavian race to settle here. In 1900, due primarily to the language barrier, they decided to form a church of their own. The Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1901. The congregation did not have a resident pastor until 1921. In the year Christ Disciple Church.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright