University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Unity, Wisconsin centennial

The dawn of Unity,   pp. 2-10

Page 8

Farming early in 1900.
barber shop, feed store, and sawmill."
In 1903 our stalwart citizens, always wanting to progress, became interested
in incorporating into a village. A census was taken in April, showing a population
oLfour hundred five (405). After all the preliminary work was done, a group of
twelve businessmen presentdd their case to the Marathon County Judge in Wausau.
There seemed no doubt that the petition would be granted. However, those oppos-
ing the movement presented material claiming an error in the census. The pe-
tition was nullified. The determination to achieve their goal was not quelled, so
in 1904 another census was taken and a land survey was made. The population in
1904 was four hundred twenty-four (424). Again the petition was presented. The
issues set forth by the opposition held up the verdict for two years. The village
became incorporated in 1906. This perhaps was the first major difference of
opinion felt by the people; however, soon all were involved in the progress of
the new "village".  Alfred Cook, an early settler who was very interested and
active in the community was elected as the first president. He served in that
office for seventeen (17) years.
The people were contented. They had labored hard and were proud of their
accomplishments. They had encouraged new businessmen to settle here, wel-
comed new families; in fact, all seemed to be progressing well. In the winter of
1909 disaster came to the. village. Fire started in the Button-Mumbrue store and
spread to the Fred Wescott tavern, and the Forest Hotel. Then it spread to the
south and engulfed the Zell Bros. general store and August Weide's meat market.
It was halted directly north of the post office. It was at first a bit discouraging for
these settlers to see their business places completely ruined. However, all helped
to clear away the debris and soon new but fewer buildings were ready for use and
business was resumed.
In Marchetti's History of Marathon County an account of Unity in 1913 lists
the following information:
"The business population is almost equally divided on both sides of the vil-
lage. On the east, or in Marathon County, are the following: the Unity Mfg. Co.

Go up to Top of Page