University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Unity, Wisconsin centennial
(1872-1972)

The dawn of Unity,   pp. 2-10


Page 5

pied one section while the four upper grades the other.
During the period of organization of the school, progress was gaining ground
elsewhere in the village. In 1874 the railroad was completed through the settle-
ment by the Wisconsin Central. A depot was built south of the village but was soon
moved north to where our former stockyards were located. This change was made
due to the fact that in its former location too much confusion resulted in the res-
idential district. Mr. S. J. Sanford received th honor of being the first depot agent
and his successor was known as 0. D. Mooney.
Had we had the opportunity to look upon this group of happy settlers at this
point in their history, we would have viewed a community quite complete, with
the exception of but one thing. Though the number of people were few, they found.
it very essential to erect a place of worship as such had been left out. That does
not say, however, that these pioneers neglected to worship. It was in fact quite
the opposite, as a religious gathering in the home of a settler was witnessed every
Sunday morning, and special prayer meetings were held frequently during the
week. They had no special minister but one of their group would fill the position,
each taking his turn at the various meetings. This was a very inconvenient means
of worshipping as they naturally desired a separate church in which to carry on
their activities. This church was accordingly built in 1880, located in the region
near the school.
In ithe meantimet the  population had been continually increasing. Several
changes had already been and were being made. Mr. Spaulding had sold his share
in the Reynolds-Spaulding sawmill to H. J. Van Hoosear. There was still a demand
for laborers as the forested area had not yet been entirely cleared. Various new
businesses were consequently started by the incoming settlers. The post office,
too, had been transferred to Mr. Darling, who had built a grocery store near the
residential district.
As more businesses were started in the settlement, there was a gradual
move northward from the original settling. Because the land toward the south had
been quite thoroughly cleared of its forest, there was a tendency to create more
cleared territory in another direction. A second sawmill was thus set up and
operated farther north than the first. It was located on a portion of the farm
owned and operated today by Wm. Schultz. Like the first mill there was an im-
mediate development in the regions of the new mill. Practically one of the first


Go up to Top of Page