University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The town of Texas
(1856-1976)

X. Town statistics,   pp. 71-75


Page 71

TOWN STATISTICS
TOWN OF TEXAS TOWN HALLS
The first Town of Texas Town Hall meetings
were held at the "mill house". At the
meeting held April 7, 1885, the voters
agreed to obtain land from W. H. Ninebuck
or Theodore Prehn. A levy of $500 was set
for the project.
The Town of Texas became a Township in
1856; however, no Town records exist
covering the period from 1856 to 1876.
In 1876 a Town Meeting was organized,
a Town Board elected, and records taken.
The first Town Officials were elected
yearly until the early 1950's when
offices were changed to 2 year terms.
Below is a list of our present elected
Town Officials:
Chairman - Elmer Bootz
Supervisors - Wilbert Langhoff
Philip Walters
Clerk - Clair E. Ostrowski
Treasurer - Ernest Zoborowski
Constable - Walter Raduechel
TOWN OF TEXAS CHAIRMEN
From 1876 to Present
First Town o6 Texas Town Hatt
A special meeting was called May 11, 1885,
and Albert Giese of Wausau was awarded the
building contract. On September 25th the
Town Board gave final approval to the
contractor. The cost was $227 for
materials, $121 for labor, and $47 for
room and board of the construction crew.
The first public meeting was held one year
later on April 6, 1886.
The building was razed in June of 1961
because of the widening of Highway W.
The Town Hall was then moved to the old
Jefferson Grade School and then to the
present location on Highway WW in the old
Butternut Grove Grade School.
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN?
Women never wore slacks or shorts on a
public street.
Women never entered a tavern call a
saloon.
William Schwart--------------
John T. Callon---------------
Fred Pagel-------------------
Theo. Prehn------------------
Walter Hinton----------------
Fred Pagel-------------------
August Siefeldt--------------
Fred Pagel-------------------
August Siefeldt--------------
Christ Volkman---------------
Fred Borchardt---------------
John C. Chiber---------------
R. H. Juedes-----------------
Fred Borchardt---------------
C. P. Paff-------------------
Win. Volkman------------------
Hy F. Marquardt--------------
Otto Grade-------------------
Henry Marquardt--------------
Martin Kufahl----------------
Henry Marquardt--------------
George Langhoff--------------
Rudolph Jauernig Sr.----------
Elmer Bootz------------------
1876-1877
1877-1885
1885-1888
1888-1889
1889-1890
1890-1891
1891-1893
1893-1894
1894-1895
1895-1899
1899-1903
1903-1904
1904-1906
1906-1913
1913-1919
1919-1923
1923-1932
1932-1935
1935-1940
1940-1944
1944-1950
1951-1953
1953-1957
1957-Present
DID YOU KNOW?
Our Population has grown from
1,692 in 1975 to 1,726 in 1976.


Go up to Top of Page