The town of Texas
IX. Miscellaneous stories, pp. 66-70
MISCELLANEOUS STORIES THE WHISKEY ROAD For the past Century, a part of what is now named the Granite Road was known as the Whiskey Road. It was the opinion of the pioneers that when the surveyors and road builders were laying out and cutting this road, they had consumed too much whiskey and located the road eighty or ninety rods north of the section line. It became an important road to the settlers and is still spoken of as the Whiskey Road by many residents in the surrounding town- ships. COUNTRY DOCTORING Mr. and Mrs. Herman Kittel were German Immigrants who settled on the Whiskey Road in 1876. Although his occupation was a millwright, he built a farm and was often referred to as a country doctor. He wasn't licensed, but owned a large German Home- opathischen Doctor Book which he used to diagnose sicknesses. He also had a supply of pills such as Belladonna, Aconite and Arnica which he obtained from the Luyties Pharmacy Co. in St. Louis, Missouri, which he would give to the settlers who came from miles around. He never charged for the medicine, but coins were usually left on the kitchen table. His wife, Amelia, was a registered mid- wife and signed approximately 300 birth certificates. Mrs. Guido Beyer, a resident of the Town of Hewitt, was also a midwife, bringing forth into the world many babies in the Town of Texas. TURNER'S SLOUGH Turner's Slough, located north of Trappe River at the old bridge which was crossed by what is now called Highway W, was a favorite fishing spot for the early fisher- men. Large cane poles, from which dangled spoonhooks, were swished in all directions catching pickerel and bass. The fishermen were seldom disappointed, for Turner's Slough always yielded a good catch. CONTEST WINNER Many advertising gimmicks are used today, but fifty-some years ago Leona Naef won a new piano when she entered a contest. She wrote "No pianos are better than Paffs" on a postal card. Her card was selected as a winner because it contained the most phrases and was neat and legible. FIRST GAME FARM One of the first game farms was at the William Neitzke home. He had a licensed deer farm. The deer all became his pets and responded to their names when he called them. Wiliam Neitzke and HiZ DeeA FISH POND Many of the farms in our Township have ponds today. About 50 years ago, Herman Stolz built a pond on his farm. He planted fish in it and created an island in the center. The remains of it are still existing. DAIRY TESTING About 55 years ago, John Chiber belonged to a State Testing Association and re- ceived a Certificate from the State for his high producing Holstein dairy herd.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright