Businesses of today, pp. 222-242
Fareway Sales Jim Drexler and Fritz Ulrich are the owners of Fareway Sales, an auto parts business. They began their business in 1972 at 237 North 3rd Avenue. Flowers & Spice Cindy Becher opened Flowers & Spice in 1990. Cindy sells fresh and silk flowers and plants and bulk spices. Need- less to say it is the sweetest smelling store in town. Her shop is located on 3rd Street. General Shoe Supplies, Limited General Shoe Supplies, Limited is a fairly new business located on North Street in Stratford. It occupies the warehouse of the former Oconomowoc Canning Company. The business began in July 1980. It was originally a joint venture of Towle Industries and Stratford General Corpora- tion. In 1982, Stratford General Corporation acquired Towle Industries stock. General Shoe Supplies Limited manufacture steel toes for safety shoes. These steel toes are found in name brand shoes such as Red Wing, Mason, and Weinbrenner Shoes. Contracts to federal prisons such as Leavenworth, Kansas, San Luis Obispo, California and Huntsville, Texas, are also being filled. Present production is 500,000 pairs of steel toes annually. The first employees in 1980 were James Weigel, Man- ager; Dick Leonhardt, and Jeff McHugh. Present employees are: James Weigel, Manager; Art Steczynski, Dan Kress, and Judy Schillinger Omelian. Hair Unlimited Hair Unlimited, located at 220 2nd Avenue, was started in June of 1975 by owner, Patty Weichelt. Hair Unlimited is a beauty salon that specializes in family hair care and retail hair care products. Currently, Patty has one employee, Deb Hayes. The business celebrated their fifteenth anniversary in 1990. The Hairdresser Susan Kann is the owner of The Hairdresser, a family hair care center. Joy Weisenberger also operates out of the shop. It is located at 200 E. Fir Street. Susan purchased the business in 1985 from Kathleen Hansen. At that time it was located at 201 1/2 S. Weber Ave. She later moved the business to 219 E. Elm. The Hairdresser specializes in permanent waves and haircutting. They also sell professional hair care products and accessories. Kegler's Kove Kegler's Kove is located in the basement of the Davel building. It is run by Dale and Anita Pokalus. More information is included in the section on bowling in Stratford. Klemme Feeds The present Klemme Feeds site was purchased by H. L. Klemme in the early 1920's from Stratford Equity Co-op. It started as a grind mill for area farmers. Early employees at the feed mill were Jim Laessig, Bud Laessig, John Vergenz, and Bill Pupp. With increased business and the need for more room, Herman Klemme purchased the building next to the mill. (It was owned by Wausau Beverage (a beer distributor) and later by Armour & Swift of Marshfield to package and wax cheese for local factories. When George Klemme took control of the company, the name was changed to G.L. Klemme & Sons. In addition to feeding the farmers' animals they also filled the farmers' machinery needs. Klemme's carried the McCormick-Deering Implement dealership which later be- came known as International Harvestor. Farm machinery was sold and serviced from the present mill site until the early 1950's when they purchased the Ed Johnson blacksmith building. (formerly the old opera house and currently Guenther's apartments). In 1960 the International Harvester franchise was sold to John Hennig of Rozellville. In the 1940's, commercial feed, seed, and fertilizer were added. Nutrena was sold to local farmers, as well as Nu- trasweeet and Master Mix. In 1955, they added Doboy Feeds and have carried that line since. The business originally fed only dairy cattle and hogs, and then expanded to turkeys, steers, and veal calves. In the early 1960's they serviced 12 turkey farms, feeding over one million turkeys annually. Upon the death of George Klemme in 1958, his sons Ardell and Larry, continued the business. The feed mill was incorporated as Klemme Feeds in 1959. In 1970, Klemme Feeds started a liquid fertilizer busi- ness. It was discontinued after 3 years of operation. In 1975 Klemme Feeds became a subsidiary of Stratford General Corporation. Klemme Feeds opened a branch store in Auburndale in 1985 with Paul Spatz as manager.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright