Stratford schools, pp. 92-100
Stratford Schools A First Stratford Grade School. Courtesy Terry Frank The committee thanks Mr. Dale Dooge for his work researching and writing the school history. Stratford Public Schools By Dale Dooge Stratford's first public school was erected before 1900, about where the addition to the school buildings was built in 1954. The school was used until 1907, when the present high school building was builL Originally the building had only one floor, but increased enrollment made it necessary to add the second floor for the upper grades including the 9th grade. But the enrollment grew and the four years of high school were desired. The old frame building was moved away and the new red brick school was built. This sufficed for the grades and the high school until 1936, when an addition, a gymnasium and four high school class rooms were added on the north. Then, in 1953, a four room addition on the west to house the grades was completed. Education of the district students, after the completion of the elementary and high school building in 1907, was done by three or four elementary teachers and a high school staff of two or three teachers and the principal who also taught some of the course work. The basic courses of English, history, science and mathematics were the curriculum offerings with the commercial courses of typing, bookkeeping and short- hand also available beginning in 1918. Excerpt from The History of Marathon County - 1913 On the second floor is the union high school of which M. Mortenson is principal and Miss Leta Stow- ell was assistant. The high school has a reference library of 300 volumes, a traveling library consisting of both English and German books. The high school has a well equipped laboratory for the study of physics. At one end of the assembly room a stage is arranged so that the room is used for entertainment. The high school principal, Mr. Mortenson, has been in his present position for three years. The high school had an enrollment of twenty-three stu- dents in 1911 and one graduating senior. The number of students attending high school had doubled to forty-six by 1917 with seven seniors graduating. All the students entering high school as freshmen four years earlier completed their high school education either at Stratford or another school in 1917. The basic curriculum offerings continued until 1930 when the high school staff increased to four with an instructor for the German course. There were 65 students enrolled in the high school in 1935 as more tuition students from the rural STATE RoAD[D SCHOOL, STRATFORD W18.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright