Stratford churches, pp. 83-91
The Rev. Diemer came here as a student pastor and at the time of his graduation from the seminary, he had the opportu- nity of serving a fine church but chose Stratford instead. He was here for 40 years. Pastor Arlin Adams was at Zion from 1953 - 1956. He was followed by Pastor Carl Schulte from 1956-1954. Pastor John Albrecht came to Stratford in 1965 and stayed until 1969. Pastor Donald Gaurke came in May of 1969. In June of 1981 Pastor Gaurke left and was followed by Rev. Jon Becker of Wausau. When Rev. Becker left in 1987, Pastor Dan L. Alexander came and still serves as pastor of Zion. Some residents of Stratford worship at area churches. Some of those include the following: The Ebenezer Reformed Church Ebenezer Church Circa 1920 The Ebenezer Reformed church was organized in 1883 with about 30 charter members, but the beginning must be set back even a bit earlier than that. In 1881, the Rev. Win. H. Stienecker had seen this country and invited the people of his Today, Zion has a membership of 390. The 1991 Church Council: Bev Aschenbrenner Jerry Clint Wayne Hanneman Bob Ulrich Jim Greenberg Rudy Werner Richard Dennee Kevin Miller Don Kroening village home in Germany to come to this place for there was promise of better things. He saw this land as one of promise for those who longed for a spot they might call their own. Then our territory certainly presented a different appearance than it does today. The timber was endless and the land still was much in the hands of the real Americans. Those who did not despise hard work and difficult labor could picture a home surrounded by garden and cleared fields. The stone piles and farms of today are witness of their labors. Those who came belonged to the Reformed branch of the Christian tradition of faith. It was not at all strange that those who were taught in the way of Christ should desire for them- selves and their children a place to give thanks to the Lord. A congregation was organized by these early settlers of the Reformed faith on September 30,1883, under the guidance of Rev. Win. Stienecker. There were 30 who took part in the or- ganization of the "Bible Congregation" soon to be called Ebenezer Reformed Church. Church services were held in a private dwelling or at the Balsam School. In the year 1886, it was decided to build a church and in the same year, 40 acres which today constitutes our church property, was purchased for $200 on November 8. At first it was decided to build a log church, but finally it was decided to build a frame building. There was an abun- dance of trees for wood. Those who cleared one half acre were entitled to a lot in the cemetery. At the time of dedication on November 17,1889, the membership had increased to 54. Rev. Stienecker served the congregation from Wausau until 1886. Following him, Rev. Otto Muehlmeier served from 1890-1891. Rev. F.C. Schnulle of Wausau served until 1895. Then by the decision of the Mission House Seminary, he was replaced by student F. Dallmus. This enabled Rev. Schnulle to devote all his time to Wausau's congregation. During Rev. Dallmus' pastorate, the parsonage was built. It was under the ministry of Rev. H.W. Schroer, beginning in 1889, that extensive changes were made on the church build- ing.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright