University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Stratford churches,   pp. 83-91


Page 87

Zion Lutheran Church
By Mrs. Allen From Stratford Journal,1956
Zion Lutheran Church was organized in the fall of 1898.
The Rev. A. F. Imm conducted worship services in the village
hall. The first officers were Fred Schuette, Sr., Carl Pueschke,
William Lipke and Fred Quade. There was a membership of
fifteen families and the Rev. Imm served only a short time.
He was followed by the Rev. L. Heidelberger, who served
until 1900, when the congregation disbanded to be reorgan-
ized a few months later.
Fred Quade was president and Henry Schiffer was secre-
tary. Members were Fred Schuette, F. Hintzmann, Fred
Quade, Max Teske, H. Schiffer, J. Lapinski, Charles Doll, H.
L. Klemme and Mrs. Schmidtbauer.
The R. Connor Co. donated the land for a church in 1901
in Pummer Town and the cornerstone was laid in July of that
year for the first church, which served until 1924 when the
present church building was erected. One of the original
members, H.L. Klemme, served on the building committee.
The Rev. Carl Schmalz served the church for six years
First Zion Lutheran Church Courtesy of Paul Untiet  until the coming of the Rev. T.E. Diemer, in 1913.
Zion Lutheran Church 1990


Go up to Top of Page