University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Stratford churches,   pp. 83-91


Page 84

I !,H N & -NhHUJGAL 8ALE CHH SKHA fOH, WI&~
German Evangelical
Church
By Mrs. Allen From Stratford Journal 1956
Many will remember the German Evangelical church. It
was built in the early 1900's by Robert Buss, Gustave Albert
and Herman Verch, Fredinand Krause, Charles Otto, and Mr.
Simon. Services were held each Sunday evening. The
minister preached at the Evangelical church in Marshfield in
the morning, then drove to Staadt for afternoon services and
then to Stratford in the evening. The group was small and the
congregation was discontinued before 1920.
Presbyterian Church
By Mrs. Allen From Stratford Journal, 1956
Sunday school and worship services had been held in the
Modem Woodman ofAmerica Hall and on May 14, 1903, the
First Presbyterian church was organized. Through the years
this was to be a changing congregation. It is said that the
members of the Presbyterian church gave more farewell
parties than any other group in the town. In a mill town there
is a changing population, so many came and worshipped, but
soon moved on.
Names familiar in the early history of the church were
Dustin, Thurston, Maxon, Lipke, Chrouser, Rogney, Dabler,
Bulman, Thompson, Langer and DeMoss.
The first wedding to be held in the church which had been
dedicated in Dec. 1903, was that of Mr. and Mrs. James L.
Chrouser, in January 1905. Elders and the pastor of the
Marshfield Presbyterian church aided in the organization of
the church and the R. Connor Co. was to give much financial
aid to the struggling congregation, until some time after 1930.
In 1956 the church was still in Stratford with but twenty
contributing families.
The loss of membership to a new church established in
the village made the support of a full time minister difficult.
The Stratford Presbyterian Church along with the Presbyte-
rian Church of Athens, Edgar and Abbotsford formed the
Marathon Larger Parish and shared a minister beginning in
the late 1940's. Growth in the Strafford congregation did not
come about and a decrease in the number of churches in the
Larger Parish resulted in the closing of the Stratford First
Presbyterian Church.
The Stratford First Presbyterian Church united with the
First Presbyterian Church of Marshfield on September 15,
1968. The church building and land was given to the Village
of Stratford for any use the trustees of the village desired to
make of the gift. In 1970 the Village had the church torn
down.
PftYTRIAN CHURCH. SJRA[FORD, WIS.


Go up to Top of Page