University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial

I remember when,   pp. 79-82

Page 81

logging camp was in operation. A patch of clearing had been
planted to grain in the spring. One noon watching my father
harvest this grain between the stumps using a hand cradle, he
told me I had a middle name and it was "Antonia". It sounded
beautiful and left a lasting impression. He added, had I been
a boy I would have been "Anton", named after one of his
uncles in Norway. This explanation must have satisfied me, as
I do not remember that the subject was ever brought up again.
I still called myself "Little Vava" as I could not pronounce the
long sound of "E" in Eva.
Gone are the days of the lumberjacks, the log drives, and
the logging train, but in memory I can still hear those daring,
brave men tell their tall tales as they sat in our lean-to kitchen
around the old cast-iron cookstove in Camp No. 3. Occasion-
ally on a quiet, fall evening I still imagine I hear that train
coming around the bend, and the sound of the steam whistle
takes me back in memory to the small world of my childhood
Early Memories of
Charlie Raugh
Charlie and Celia Raugh from Marshfield News-Herald,
June 6, 1986,
Charlie Raugh recalled early Connor Company logging
days in Stratford when he was interviewed by Laura Johnston
of the Marshfield News-Herald.
Raugh was manager of the furnishing and hardware
departments for 54 years at the Connor Co. Store. Money was
scarce, so whenever the Connor chauffeur was unavailable,
Raugh would fill in, often taking two or three day trips with
Mr. Connor and the children to Milwaukee or Madison.
"Old W. D. (Connor) was a real enterprising guy,"
Raugh said. "I used to drive the old man around... he never
learned how to drive, he always had a chauffeur. One time, I
remember he wrote 11 letters by the light of the dome light in
the car on the way home from Laona.
Raugh hauled provisions out to the logging camps as part
of his job at the Store.
"That was very interesting to go in there (to the logging
camps). They had tin dishes. They wouldn't talk while they
were eating. They told me it was because that would make too
much noise - the rattle of the dishes was bad enough without
the talking too!" Raugh said.
"They had a long day. They'd be up at dawn and work
until dark. They started at about 75 cents a day, and the most
anyone got was about $1.50. Most of the married men stayed
in town and worked at the mill. The younger fellows had to
have jobs so they'd go to the camps.
Living conditions in the camps weren't very civilized
compared to modern standards, according to the Raughs.
"What they called the bunkhouse was about two rows of beds,
and more rows stacked on top of the first. All those guys
would be packed together in the bunkhouse and it was cold
and there'd be no air. Boy, that was an awful odor in there,"
they said.
Raugh explained the way the lumberjacks would log a
Cooks at a Connor Camp

Go up to Top of Page