Stratford beginning, pp. 21-36
A fire, on Dec 25, 1931, destroyed the R. Connor Company planing mill. The mill had not been running that day. Three fire departments, Stratford village, the mill crew and the Marshfield department fought the blaze several hours. All adjoining buildings were saved. The mill ceased operations in 1932 and was moved to Connorville in 1934. Did You Know? Where is Shanty Town ? In early years, the settle- ment of homes along highway 97, south of the railroad tracks was called Shanty Town. Where and what was Punmertown? Zion Lutheran Church was built in Pummertown - mean- ing the people from Pomera- nia lived there. In 1893 there were just two roads leading from Stratford. One went west to Webertown and the other south to Juneman's comer and east to Rozellville. People living in the other directions either had to come to town afoot or on horseback.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright