University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Logging and early settlements,   pp. 8-20


Page 16

Other area communities
Courtesy of Clarence Kafta
Rozellville
by Patti Laessig Zimmerman
Rozellville, named for Michael W. D. Rozell, an early
settler, became a bustling community in the late 1880's. Lo-
cated northeast of Marshfield, it was a desirable location for
those interested in buying land after the Homestead Act of
1862. Acreage sold for $1.00 to $1.25 per acre. Lumber
companies had gone through earlier and reaped a harvest of the
choicest pines, floating the logs down the Little Eau Pleine
River to Dancy where they entered the Wisconsin River. That
left many hardwoods to be cleared for farming. In the begin-
ning, selling the timber was the only livelihood for the settlers.
In winter lumber camps provided hard work, but much needed
income to support their families. It was a difficult task clearing
the land and raising crops of any size, taking years for tree
stumps to rot before any substantial farming could be done, and
still more years before dairy farming could provide a liveli-
hood. There were no cheese factories in those early years. The
general store provided the only market for butter made from the
milk, and that was churned by hand.
Earliest white settlers to the area were the George Beach
family and the Campbell brothers, Sam and Henry and their
families for whom the original settlement of Campbelltown
was named, located just a mile north and a mile west of
Rozellville.
Other settlers arriving between the years 1877 and 1880
included William Raschke, Leonard Schmidt, Andrew Daul,
Nicholas Pinion, Caspar Ably, Jacob Reichert, Nick Rehlinger,
Matt Folz, Nick Benz, Ada Sturm, Christ Franzen, Jacob
Hoffman, Jacob Young,
Peter Riplinger, Simon Streigel, Anton Kiefer, Nick
Oppman, Charles Veers, John Staadt and Matt Oppman arrived
in 1887,
John and Caroline (Daul) Brinkmann arrived in May of
1880, walking the final stretch of their journey from Marshfield
as there was no other means of transportation available.
When William Raschke hauled the equipment for a saw mill
from Appleton for Andrew Daul, he'd used the Weeks'
Lumber Company road which was just north of Rozellville
to Dancy. Later August Kroening and William Raschke cut
the timber, clearing the roadway between Marshfield and
Rozellville, following the Indian trail.
Many Indians lived along the Little Eau Pleine River,
Rice Lake, and the Big Eau Pleine River. A camp was
located just northeast of Rozellville where the Indians still
lived in wigwams amid the protective forest, coming to town
to trade furs, maple syrup and ginseng atBrinkmann's Store.
John Young was the Pottawatomie Chief and some of his de-
cendants still live nearby.
The first blacksmith was Fred Klumb. He did far more
than shoe horses. He made buggies, wagons, sleighs and
many things including household utensils. He repaired just
about everything, and often bartered his work, as did many
in those days because cash was scarce.
Another blacksmith was Andrew Striegel. George Beach
was Postmaster until Rozellville became the main settle-
ment, then Michael W.D. Rozell received the appointment
in 1877, followed by John Brinkmann, Sr. in 1881, who
relocated the Post Office from Campbelltown to the Brink-
mann Store in Rozellvile. George Kohler was the first star
route mail carrier, followed by Matt Brausch whose wife
Helen also hauled her share of the mail. A tavern was
operated by Fred Bernitt, Nick Pinion had a sawmill, Joseph
Schirmer was a butter maker, Peter Borens repaired shoes
and boots.
Other settlers listed on the 1881 plat are C. Peters, H.
Bubbers, C. Griesbach, L. Spindler, J, Frieders, N. Gross,
A.H. Hutchinson, A. Zimmermann, A. Gessert, P. Nikolai,
J. Etringer, B. Fullmer, J. Derfus and others.
In 1881 St. Andrew's Catholic Church was started, meet-
ing in private homes. Andrew Daul donated two acres of land
where a 22 x 40 ft. log church and adjoining bell tower was


Go up to Top of Page