University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Logging and early settlements,   pp. 8-20


Page 12

Fred Laessig's log house. Courtesy Patti Laessig Zimmerman.
Christian Weber's General Store               Christian and Anna Weber. Webertown was named for
Courtesy Patti Laessig Zimmerman.               Christian Weber. Courtesy Patti Laessig Zimmerman.
On the north bank of the river, Edward L. Laessig, a native
of Saxony, and his wife Jeanette (Baenen) of
s'Hertogenbosch, Holland, migrated from near Green Bay.
Their daughter, Augusta, became the wife of Michael Wag-
ner. Their son Frank married Christian Weber's daughter
Mary, and their eldest daughter, Philomena married Henry
Weber, brother of Christian, who like his brother, had come
to the north and built a home of logs in the wilderness.
All the original dwellings were built of logs cut from the
forest, but with the operation of the Weber saw and shingle
mill, cut lumber became available.
Henry Weber, a carpenter, also helped operate a boarding
house for his brother, Christian, who had a general store and
the position of Post Master.
Brother-in-law, Jacob Kaiser, a livestock dealer, was the
mail carrier for the March Express from Webertown, March
and Unity, while Andrew Kaiser ran the saloon and another
brother Lawrence was shoe maker. Joseph Sawyer was black-
smith; V.G. Chrouser plasterer and Justice; Peter Doctor,
shoemaker and road builder; John Filen, painter; Fred Osee,
carpenter and mason; Ed Polege, brick manufacturer; M.B.
Wagner, general store and saloon; Edward L. Laessig, stone


Go up to Top of Page