University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Port Washington 1835 to 1985
([1985])

People, places and events,   pp. 22-31


Page 28

The newest church in Port Washington is St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church where the cornerstone was put in place by the
Reverend Daniel Simons, Alvin Kultgen and Tony Branda in April during Port Washington's sesquicentennial year. The church is located
on Grant St.                                                                                   Photo by Vern Arendt
infants. The church, always a mission parish,
never had a resident priest. Due to a dwindling
membership, the little church closed its doors
after a final Christmas service in 1964 and was
torn down the following year.
A second Catholic parish, St. Peter Alcantara,
was created on the north side of Port Washington
as the number of Catholic families had greatly in-
creased by the early 1960's. A ten classroom
school building was opened in 1964. Through the
generosity of William J. Niederkorn, a parish
house was added in 1969.
Christ The King Lutheran Church held its first
service in a newly completed church building on
Whitefish Road in September, 1963. Twenty years
later, in 1983, ground was broken for a new sanc-
tuary to provide additional space for educational
purposes for the expanding congregation. Con-
gregational members have always been generous
in providing help in the building programs under-
taken by the church.
Faith Baptist Church, Portview Christian
Center, Open Door Bible Church, St. Matthew
Evangelical Lutheran Church and St. Simon
Episcopal Church are among the more recent con-
gregations to locate in the Port Washington area,
indicating continuation of the strong religious
character of the community.
St. John's Lutheran Church Is located on Foster St. at Webster
St. The church building has served the congregation since
1914 although the congregation had been meeting since 1854.


Go up to Top of Page