University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])

Ozaukee County - excerpts from Walter Corrigan history


Ozaukee County  - Excerpts from Walter Corrigan History
Oz ukee County was created by an act of the Wisconsin legis-
lature froi Wl,, ngton Countyi in 1853. Before this both
counties were one. The boundaries of" Ozaukee County re-
mained the same. The name of Ozaukee County was derived
from a Chi-oiewa tern which is said to mean "people living
at the mouth of a river" or "people of yellow earth", the
soil being mostly of that color.
It is a tradition in this community that the Court House of
what was then Washingr-ton County was once located on the
Bonniwell place on what is now Wriauwatosa Avenue, the
Bonniwell house being a short distance south of where the
Bonniwell wa : then and is now located.  This tradition pro-
bablv arises from numerous facts which we shall record.
Thouh in 1936, the seat of justice had been established at
what was then known as *isconsin City, near the present City
of ..ort Washington, that place was very remote from the
settlements then existing. Hency the legislature proved the
County con.missioners might hola their meetings at the house
of ' vv. T. Bonniwell. Pursuant to that provision on Nove.
18, 1946, the first Board of County Commissions met in the
house of Win. T. Bonniwell. At that meetin{;, Win. T.
bonniwell of this Town shipo of IJequon was elected Clerk of
the Board.
On Feb. 24, 191i, a special meeting of the Commissions was
held at Willia~m T. Bornniwell house and the road districts


Go up to Top of Page