University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])

Early churches


too small, due to many other German immigrants, and
another church was built in 1841. Each family had to
provide 300 hand hewn shingles for the new church. The
sawing of timbers cost $70.00 and the bricks were made
for $2.75 per m.
The church was large enough until 1884 when the present
stone building was erected. A complete remodeling job
was done, complete with new furniture. Also a new organ
was purchased.
The Reverend L. Krause was the first pastor and since then
ten pastors have served the congregation, including Pastor
H. Wehrs, and the present incumbant Pastor h. H. Wiechmann.
A christian day school was conducted from the beginning.
Three teachers conducted the eight grades of 97 pupils.
Many of the farms in Mequon are still in possession of the
decendents of the original owner such as Radue, Barthe,
Schoessow, Pipkorn, Wille, Dobberfuhl, Frenz, and others.
Trinity Lutheran Congregation is the oldest Lutheran
congregation in the State of Wisconsin. Trinity
Lutheran school is also the oldest Lutheran school in
Wisconsin.
St. James Catholic church is the oldest Catholic church
in Mequon.  It is located on the N{equon Road and the
Range tine Road. It was originated Feb. 22, 1853.


Go up to Top of Page