University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])

Early churches


Early Churches
In the early stages of the settlement of the Town of
Mequon, there weren't any churches. Ministers of several
denominations went from one resident to another and prayed.
It is on record that the first minister was a Methodist.
In the spring of 138, a Reverend Tork, an Indian miss-
ionary preached at the Jonathan Loomer home.
At a time when Milwaukee was still spelled ending with
lie", a band of German immigrants was making their way
to the shores of a free land, America. They left their
comfortable homes because of religious persecution.
They learned that school land was still available in
Wisconsin. They headed for this location and settled
in the same neighborhood, today known as Freistadt,
meaning free city. This village is located at the west
side of Mequon, near the Town line.
When Freistadt was founded in 1839, Wisconsin had only
about 30,000 inhabitants, about 5000 of these living in
Milwaukee. These Prussian immigants had real money,
which they spent for land, food, and goods.
The first 40 acres were purchased for a church, parsonage,
and school.  The cost was 41.25 per acre.  The first
building to be erected was a house for Henry von Rohr,
the leader of this group. School and church services
were held in this house. In 1840, the first church was
erected at a cash outlay of $45.50. This church proved


Go up to Top of Page